M16 loosing connectivity

SOLVED
cengizsavas
Conversationalist

M16 loosing connectivity

Hello,

I have in my setup 1x M16 and 2x M18 with firmware 26.1.

M16 is loosing regularly connectivity. Event log does not show any error messages.

I have no problems with M18 in my setup with same firmware. Static IP is configured on M16/M18 and there is not so much clients and traffic on the box (30Mbits/sec and max 10 clients).

This is not a new setup. I am running this setup since a while.

M16 was connected to c3560 with IOS 15.2(2)E6. The switchport is configured as access port:

interface GigabitEthernet 0/1

switchport access vlan 10

switchport more access

I have changed the port on the switch and replace cable. Still the same.

Then I changed to ASA5506 v9.9 and connected M16 to L2 ports with BVI config

interface BVI100

nameif inside

security-level 100

ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

interface gigabitEthernet1/8

bridge-group 100

nameif inside_2

security-level 100

ASA and switch config is just simple and straightforward.

I am still seeing the loss of connectivity.

Thanks in advance for any hints and tips.

Best regards,

Cengiz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Your config is probably ok, especially if this was already running for a long time with no issues like you mentioned.  I would suspect some combination of your hardware models MR16/18 with 26.1 and certain specific features you have enabled. I'm not sure if you meant the MR16 itself was periodically losing connectivity, OR if the clients on the MR16 were periodically losing connectivity, but regardless I would open a case with Meraki Support. 

I have seen some similar issues similar to what you described on those older models of APs, but Support would be able to quickly correlate your hardware, firmware and features with a known issue and provide suggestions or a workaround.  There are many variables involved so it's better to have them take a deeper look. 

If there is a feature you need to use or test in r26, then perhaps they might suggest leaving your MR18 APs running 26.1 since they seem to be ok, and firmware pinning the MR16 to an earlier r25 firmware or whatever you were running stable for a long time.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Your config is probably ok, especially if this was already running for a long time with no issues like you mentioned.  I would suspect some combination of your hardware models MR16/18 with 26.1 and certain specific features you have enabled. I'm not sure if you meant the MR16 itself was periodically losing connectivity, OR if the clients on the MR16 were periodically losing connectivity, but regardless I would open a case with Meraki Support. 

I have seen some similar issues similar to what you described on those older models of APs, but Support would be able to quickly correlate your hardware, firmware and features with a known issue and provide suggestions or a workaround.  There are many variables involved so it's better to have them take a deeper look. 

If there is a feature you need to use or test in r26, then perhaps they might suggest leaving your MR18 APs running 26.1 since they seem to be ok, and firmware pinning the MR16 to an earlier r25 firmware or whatever you were running stable for a long time.

I had about 30 old MR16 that I finally got rid of about 6 months ago. They all acted like christmas tree lights on 25.X code, just rebooting randomly throughout the day, all of them.

For certain contact support to investigate. They can see more details behind the scenes that what we can, to determine issue etc.

My suggestion would be to ask support to put them on latest 24.X code (as mine were somewhat stable on this version) and see if they are more stable. Or upgrade them because they are indeed old.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels