Low speed in MR42 Access points

LakshmanKanth
Here to help

Low speed in MR42 Access points

Clients getting slow speed( less than 10 Mbps) and clients getting disconnected frequently.

22 - MR 42  Access points connected to single MS 210 FP.  @PhilipDAth  can you suggest?

18 REPLIES 18
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is it a slow sync speed, or data transfer speed?

If a slow data transfer speed, is a wired client okay?

What are you testing against?

What firmware are you running and is it a 2.4GHz or 5GHz WLAN?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There are different ways of measuring speed.  If you open a web browser and go to my.meraki.com and click on "Run speed test" what speed does it report between you are your AP?

The 2.4Ghz spectrum not that good due to crowding.  Lots of problems happen on 2.4Ghz.  Are you able to disable the 2.4Ghz band and only use 5Ghz?  You'll have a lot less problems this way.

If you go Wireless/RF Spectrum does it show you have lots of capacity in the bands you want to use, or doe sit show that it is quite congested?

Hi Phil,

I tested speed from  ap.meraki.com. the speed is 7 Mbps to  9 Mbps.  The connected clients in AP  was  4 users. And 2.4 GHz was congested more compared to 5 GHz.

I have a doubt, how many MR 42 can connect to MS 210 48 FP switch?

Thanks for your reply..

The problem with Data transfer speed . And the wired clients are  ok. 

MR 42  Firmware  version  is 25.13.   2.4 GHz or 5 GHz both are in use.  I checked with different SSID  but there was no improvements. The same slowness  problem repeated. 

no traffic shaping policy.

Also clients getting disconnected frequently. In logs the failure reason is unknown.  Then   we  disabled DFS from the indoor radio profile, but no luck.

If i enabled Dual band operation with band steering  then the ssid won't show for clients including 5 GHz  capable devices.  

If you open a web browser and go to my.meraki.com and click on "Run speed test" what speed does it report between you are your AP?

7 to 9 Mbps

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You should be able to connect 48 MR42s.  Any reason you haven't moved  to the current 26.7 firmware?

There is no problem to upgrade firmware version. we are trying to find out the root cause before moving to latest version

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can revert for a week or so, so I'd try it as there are many improvements.

>7 to 9 Mbps

Is that using a 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz connection?

If you go Wireless/RF Spectrum does it show you have lots of capacity in the bands you want to use, or does it show that it is quite congested?

client is 5 GHz capable but it is connected via 2.4 GHz only . And as per  meraki  dashboard results  2.4 GHz is more congested 

Can you try connecting disabling 2.4Ghz on the SSID and repeat the speed test please using only 5Ghz.

it sounds like the 2.4Ghz band might be unusable in your area.

If only  5 GHz enabled  the SSID not visible for  some clients. But the clients having 5 GHz compatibility. Let me try to troubleshoot this issue and let me update the status.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Try upgrade to latest firmware as this will reboot all the APs as part of the process.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

While doing the speedtest it's not a bad idea to monitor the airtime on that particular AP.
If you go to Access Points -> The access point itself -> click on the RF tab
You'll see a historical view of connected clients, airtime and so on.

Due to a bug it's possible the 5GHz will not show any value in airtime utilization.

But you can change from "from the last day/2hours/week/30days" to live.

After a few second you'll see the actual reported airtime usage.
Then start your speedtest and see to where it goes after checking which band your client has connected to.

If your AP reports close to 80% when you even get a slow 9 Mbps then you simply don't have any airtime left and you'll need to move channels, tweak channel width or look if you can make changes to the environment.

damienleick
Getting noticed

Upgrade to MR 26.6.1

Slow speed is a knwoing problem on MR42 & MR34 on the MR 25.13

MarkW
Here to help

A while back I had a similar speed problem problem with clients on on business SSIDs assigned via group policy.  Guest SSIDs worked just fine.  Turned out to be something in the settings that were being used.  It had been on my to do list for a while to update the security protocols, so I didn't spend time figuring out what the issue was, just moved on to the next thing.  In my case I needed to migrate to something new, so did a new SSID making sure everything is set to WPA2 only, AES (no TKIP), once that is what the laptops used, the speed increased immediately.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels