Low Transmit power

ochambelant
Comes here often

Low Transmit power

Hello,

After AP replacement Cisco AP1242 by MR33 and MR42, we're facing some coverage holes.

Indeed, AP1242 have a transmit power equal to 17 to 20 dBm. Unfortunately, MR33 and MR42 can't reach 17 or 20 dBm and are stuck to 16 dBm max. Currently, all MR33 and MR42 transmit between 5 dBm and 16 dBm !!!!!!!

How can I force AP to reach 17 to 20 dBm?

Max power in France is 20 dBm (100 mW).

Thank you and best regards.

ochambelant

7 REPLIES 7
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you sure you have the country code set correctly in the network?

You can use an RF profile to set the transmit power.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Radio_Settings/RF_Profiles#Transmit_Power_Range

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

ps. More APs often gives a better result than more power ...

Hello !

Thank you for you quick reply 🙂

Here the regulatory set to France.

Capture.PNG

There are enough AP to cover the site with a transmit power set, at least, at 17 dBm. But 50 % is transmitting at 5 dBm .

I opened a case but the answer is not the expected one (force transmit power to the value that you want. Sure, but I can't !)

Capture1.PNG

Thank you for your help again!

ochambelant

Are you running the 25.13 firmware?

I would at least raise the minimum transmit power.

I think I would go back to support and say that the CE regulatory domain allows up to 20dBm/100mw of power - and the interface does not allow it to be selected.  That is a bug.

Hi again,

Yes, I'm running 25.13 firmware.

I'll get in touch with support.

Thank you a lot.

I'll update the ticket with the resolution 🙂

see you.

Is 20dBm your max for all 3 bands? UNII-1, UNII-2, and UNII-3?

Here in Canada we have lower limits for UNII-1 and as a result depending on the channel being broadcast we'd see some AP's not broadcasting at our desired output power. We typically set o/p power to 17dBm to get a good balanced link and UNII-1 channels would always be backed off further.

Anyways, it might be worthwhile checking if there's correlation between AP power and channel. That might help in your discussion with Meraki support.

Hello,

Is 20dBm your max for all 3 bands? UNII-1, UNII-2, and UNII-3?

Yes.

Thank you for your advice.

See you.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels