Loss of wireless signal power in AP MR26

Solved
Sistemas_SLG
Here to help

Loss of wireless signal power in AP MR26

Hello to all the members of the community.

Currently, I have been witnessing certain power losses in the wireless signal, most of all in the AP MR 26.

For example, if a client has always been at the same distance from the AP and a few days ago received 5 lines of wireless signal, at this time only receives 1 or 2 signal lines.

I have also seen that different clients, for example, in short periods of time go from having 5 signal lines to only 1 and in the opposite way.

I assume it's an AP problem but I'm not sure. Has someone else happened to you? Any possible solution?

Thank you very much to all!

1 Accepted Solution
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

This could be a variety of things acting as root cause.

Are the access points using static channel/power? If not, then if the AP changes channels, the client might roam during that phase from AP1 to AP2 and receive weaker signal. Or the power level on the radio might go from high to low, reducing RSSI to the client. I almost always recommend setting static on those two items.

You can check the event logs for the client, see if it is bouncing between access points or not. If it is stationary, then it might be forced to connect to a different AP if you have client-balancing enabled under radio settings.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

This could be a variety of things acting as root cause.

Are the access points using static channel/power? If not, then if the AP changes channels, the client might roam during that phase from AP1 to AP2 and receive weaker signal. Or the power level on the radio might go from high to low, reducing RSSI to the client. I almost always recommend setting static on those two items.

You can check the event logs for the client, see if it is bouncing between access points or not. If it is stationary, then it might be forced to connect to a different AP if you have client-balancing enabled under radio settings.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

As @NolanHerring mentioned that can be a variety of things that might cause this, and it might not even be related to your configuration, but the RF environment.  One quick thing you can do is try clicking into the AP and go to the RF tab and look at the same band where the client device(s) are connected (2.4 or 5GHz) over the last day and week.  You'll be able to see how many clients were connected and if there's been more or less levels of interference that might correlate with the times you saw stronger or weaker signals, and also get some insight if the AP was changing channels or power levels to try to improve performance.  If nothing is jumping out as obvious, and the problem persists even though there have been no configuration changes, it might be best to open a ticket and let Support review your configuration, examine the event logs, and do a firmware scrub for any known issues and possibly suggest a better firmware for that model of AP.

Thank you very much for the information and your help. I will make the revisions and any news I will tell you.

Regards!
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels