Looking to use umbrella DNS for only a specific WiFi network.

E-Rov
Here to help

Looking to use umbrella DNS for only a specific WiFi network.

Here is the situation:  I am looking to apply different DNS servers (cisco umbrella) only to clients of a certain SSID. 

I have seen that this is available using the "Content Filtering" selection of "custom DNS" in the Wireless Access Control page, but this is only available when using the "NAT mode: Use Meraki DHCP" option for client IP assignment.

The issue is that we have VLAN tagging on this traffic to go out a separate MX100 using a secondary internet circuit, so we have to use "Bridge Mode: Make clients part of the LAN" to enable the VLAN tagging.

Do I have to create another VLAN on the MX? (DHCP is handled by the MX currently).  Then I would have to adjust the port configuration between the MX and the MS, the ports on both are currently configured as access ports for this VLAN.

Am I missing something here?  I thought this was going to be an easy setup.

2 REPLIES 2
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Could you install the Umbrella client onto those devices instead?

antonis_sp
Building a reputation

You have to go to Firewall & traffic shaping for the specific SSID you want and Enable Umbrella protection there.

This requires version 26.x on the APs to work.

More info here.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Other_Topics/Manually_Integrating_Cisco_Umbrella_with_Meraki_Net...

If you do not want to do that, other workaround is adding Umbrella DNS to your DHCP scope and using Firewall rules to block access to other DNS servers.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels