Location Analytics - Proximity connections

Solved
cntepe
New here

Location Analytics - Proximity connections

Hopefully a quick question: On the proximity report in Location Analytics, are the "Connected" numbers unique devices, or does it count every time any device connects, even if the same device starts a new connection multiple times?

1 Accepted Solution
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Indeed, what @MarcP said, but there's a but:

"Location data is largely captured per device using that device's media access control (MAC) address as a unique identifier. As part of a privacy technique, some mobile operating systems have added functionality that attempts to randomize the WLAN MAC address a device uses, making it more difficult to track by solutions such as Meraki Location Analytics. As the number of mobile devices that implement randomization increases, solutions to detect and locate devices have changed. Meraki provides additional capabilities such as bluetooth information via the Meraki Scanning API, enabling Meraki customers to anonymously include wearable devices as part of their location analytics dataset."

Source:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Location_Analytics

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Just check this and as I know our Guest wifi in one location I would say its unique. Not countin a device multiple time when it connects again.

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Indeed, what @MarcP said, but there's a but:

"Location data is largely captured per device using that device's media access control (MAC) address as a unique identifier. As part of a privacy technique, some mobile operating systems have added functionality that attempts to randomize the WLAN MAC address a device uses, making it more difficult to track by solutions such as Meraki Location Analytics. As the number of mobile devices that implement randomization increases, solutions to detect and locate devices have changed. Meraki provides additional capabilities such as bluetooth information via the Meraki Scanning API, enabling Meraki customers to anonymously include wearable devices as part of their location analytics dataset."

Source:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Location_Analytics

Agreed.  Only unique client MAC addresses are shown.

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

I believe connected category is done by mac address. At least in my experience and my networks, the connected devices matches the devices in the network. So it looks like it is not counting each session as connected.

cntepe
New here

Thanks for the quick responses everyone!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels