Issues with connectivity throughout house with 3x new MR33 APs

The_Machine
Here to help

Issues with connectivity throughout house with 3x new MR33 APs

HI Team, 

before I open a case I thought I would post this query here and see what other people's experiences are or if anyone for some suggestions that could help with my issue.

We got a relatively large house that splits over 3 levels - the levels are not exactly on top of each other. If you imagine a steep piece of land where the house is built on poles on rocks, etc. and each level is half over the level underneath but set 50% back further towards the hill - kind of a terrace home I guess. So we also got quite a few stairs in the house and a few corners in each stairway.

Prior to purchasing the Meraki MR33s, I had 1x Apple Airport Extreme AP on every level and I generally never had any issues with them. Recently the one on Level3 died so I thought I would buy a more high end solution and decided for the Meraki APs.

As with the Apple, originally I installed one MR33 on each level. The main AP and gateway to the Internet is in my office on Level 1. But soon I found out that they have frequent, intermittent communication issues with the gateway AP. Dropouts are anywhere for 1-3 minutes. Needless to say this results in a bad wireless and Internet connectivity experience.

I have tried to re-adjust the positioning of the APs and this has helped somewhat but right now it is basically impossible to have a stable connection between L3 and L1 Gateway (I don't quite understand why the L3 AP doesn't attach to the L2 AP instead since it is closer?). So I removed the L3 AP all together. Now with L2 connectivity back to the gateway on L1 it seems to be very sensitive - if I move either AP in a slightly different position, I get the random connection issues again (L2 AP says 'Communication to Gateway failed'). 

What I find really dissapointing is that I really thought this is a top quality product, yet so many issues with getting a stable connectivity. The L2 and L1 AP are only about 7m from each other up the stairs (no clear line of sight but nevertheless not a long distance from each other.

I even have some devices on L3 associating with the AP on L1, so I don't understand why the AP on L2 that is much closer can have communication dropouts to L1?

Never had any issues with the Apple Airports and I am sure the Meraki is a better product or?

Does anyone know whether this is really just a matter of positioning them properly or can there be other issues and possible solutions?

Thanks

Thomas

2 REPLIES 2
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I generally try and use MESH as a last resort.

I tend to use the D-Link Ethernet powerline extenders in residential situations.  They let you run Ethernet over the power lines.  You then plug the APs into the powerline adaptors.

Note that you get about 1/10 of the performance as what is advertised.  So if you use a 1Gb/s powerline adaptor you more typically get 100Mb/s.

I'm surprised you are finding it so touchy.  Are the APs in similar places to where the Apple units where?

Hi Philip, 

thanks a lot for the speedy reply! The tip with the powerlines extenders was a life saver. I remembered then that I even had a brand new pair of those in the garage. Installed them and not the APs are on L1 and L3 - much better coverage and no communication issues. Thanks for the tip, really great!

Still wondering why the repeater solution doesn't work properly despite the close proximity - that part is disappointing with the product but at least my wifi works now via another means.

Cheers
Thomas

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels