Is there a way to set the management vlan id for all APs in a network ?

SOLVED
thomasthomsen
Head in the Cloud

Is there a way to set the management vlan id for all APs in a network ?

Hi all.

Is there an easy way to set the management vlan id for all APs in a network ?

For example if I want the APs to tag their management traffic with vlan 10 for all APs ?

I cant quite seem to find a way, there does not seem to be a dashboard field fo all APs (like there is for switches), and I cant quite seem to find an API way (maybe there is) ?

Does anyone know, or is the only way to go through them one at a time ?

Thanks

Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The quickest way would be to use the API (configure WAN1 for an AP).

https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api-v1/#!update-device-management-interface 

You don't even need to write code.  You can just use the curl command once for every AP.  Then just plug in each AP once where it can retrieve its new config, and then deploy.

Something like (untested):

curl -L --request PUT \
--url https://api.meraki.com/api/v1/devices/{serial}/managementInterface \
--header 'Content-Type: application/json' \
--header 'Accept: application/json' \
--header 'X-Cisco-Meraki-API-Key: xxx' \
--data '{
    "wan1": {
        "vlan": 7
    }}'

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

@thomasthomsen what’s the use case? I don’t believe there is an easy way to do what you’re asking through the Dashboard. Normally you’d want to keep all your APs on the native VLAN so that when you add another one it ‘automagically’ finds the internet and connects to the Dashboard. Otherwise you’ll need to preconfigure every AP before you deploy them anyway, since their first comms will be on the native (untagged) VLAN.

Well the use case is replacing a already excising solution from another provider.

And the customer tags the management VLAN to the AP.

He would be "sad" if he had to go reconfigure all his switchports (not Meraki switches ..... yet 🙂 ).

The customer sees no problem in provisioning the APs before they are physically mounted.

But , as you mention, there does not seem to be an easy way, so, ill go through these APs one at a time.

A good thing there are only 50 something ..... 🙂

Thanks

/Thomas

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

What’s the native VLAN on the trunk at the moment? Can you leverage that at all? Pre-configuring 50 APs won’t be fun. If you can use the native VLAN for cloud management traffic only, maybe you could use the Alternative Management Interface for all other management traffic (e.g. RADIUS, Syslog) - and that one you can define for all the APs.

Its a good suggestion, and I did think of it, but it is unfortunately not possible in this situation.

I will configure them all one at a time, and make a wish.

PS:

The good thing is that for the physical mounting, we might not actually need to pre-provision the APs, mesh might "save" us here... 

I mean , AP gets PoE, cant connect to the dashboard, but can hear another (already configured AP), and from that one get its config from the dashboard.

We are just testing 🙂

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The quickest way would be to use the API (configure WAN1 for an AP).

https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api-v1/#!update-device-management-interface 

You don't even need to write code.  You can just use the curl command once for every AP.  Then just plug in each AP once where it can retrieve its new config, and then deploy.

Something like (untested):

curl -L --request PUT \
--url https://api.meraki.com/api/v1/devices/{serial}/managementInterface \
--header 'Content-Type: application/json' \
--header 'Accept: application/json' \
--header 'X-Cisco-Meraki-API-Key: xxx' \
--data '{
    "wan1": {
        "vlan": 7
    }}'

I looked at the API, and I thought that one only worked for the MX (since its called WAN1 🙂 )

If this works, then its the way to go. Thanks.

PS: I have not tried it, because there where "only" 50+ APs and I just "grinded" my way through them.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels