Is there a maximum number of APs in a Meraki "network"?

dsmith
Conversationalist

Is there a maximum number of APs in a Meraki "network"?

Hello!

I have a customer being told by a competitor WiFi manufacturer that there is an AP limit with Meraki.  

There are customers with 10s of thousands of active APs, and so I was wondering if there is perhaps a limit of APs within particular Meraki "networks".  (Or perhaps this is just competitor FUD.)  

Would appreciate knowing any limits on AP deployment (NOT client-related) that anyone may be aware of!

Thank you,

Deb

8 REPLIES 8
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The limit is 25,000 per organisation that you can "self" add.  If you need to go over that you need to speak to Meraki first.

However if you buy 25,000 AP's you probably wont be needing to speak to Meraki - they'll be speaking to you, taking you out to lunch, and generally being your best friend.

You can search for "25,000" in this document for confirmation.

https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Cisco_Meraki_Best_Practice_Design/... 

dsmith
Conversationalist

Perfect!  

Thank you very much, Phillip.  Appreciate your response, and having the link to that document.

Deb

pjc
A model citizen

Perhaps they are referring to the 1000 access point limit per network (as opposed to the 25k limit per organisation).  Although best practice for autoRF would be not to have that kind of number in a single network (unless of course that was one (BIG) single geographic location)

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

@pjc wrote:

Perhaps they are referring to the 1000 access point limit per network (as opposed to the 25k limit per organisation).  Although best practice for autoRF would be not to have that kind of number in a single network (unless of course that was one (BIG) single geographic location)

@pjc  - where do you see the 1000 per network limit?  I can't seem to locate that information. I was not aware of it.

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

@NolanHerring  It's in the doc Phil linked further up under number of devices per network

Number of Devices per Network

The number of Meraki devices (MX, MS, MR, MV, etc., not user devices) per network is a much more variable number that does not have a general recommendation. It will vary from case to case.

Note that there is a limit of 1000 devices per network. Networks exceeding this number should be split. However, it is generally uncommon for networks to approach this number unless they have a very large number of cameras or wireless access points. If this is the case, it is recommended to split the networks based on physical areas or use cases.

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

lol

so much for my Lasik !

Thanks
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

@NolanHerring  get a refund lol !

Is there a maximum number of networks in an org?

"Meraki’s cloud-based architecture makes it an ideal choice for distributed, multi-site systems of networks, with administrators able to manage up to 1,000 networks from a single web browser using Dashboard."

This is from a blog in 2010. Not sure about the current limit.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels