Is My MR66 AP Using a Meraki PoE Injector or Only my PoE MS220 Meraki Switch ?

Solved
ndccpf1
Here to help

Is My MR66 AP Using a Meraki PoE Injector or Only my PoE MS220 Meraki Switch ?

I inherited an already installed (10/2015) Meraki one building network. I have been doing the physical walk around inventory as well as using the Meraki Dashboard. Using the dashboard menus, I see no reference to any type of power injector. The MR66 APs are mounted outside up on the building so I can do a visible "reverse" search backwards.

Online documentation for the MR66 AP says ==> The MR66 access point can be powered using either a third-party 802.3af PoE switch or the Meraki 802.3af PoE injector (sold separately).

Why does Meraki documentation not reference using a Meraki PoE switch like my MS220 ?

Phil

1 Accepted Solution

@ndccpf1 Correct devices powered using POE injector will not show they are powered this way in the dashboard. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Did it come out before Meraki PoE switches existed?  The current install guide just mentions an af switch, not particularly a 3rd party one.

MR66 (EOS) Installation Guide 

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Most likely that model was available before Meraki had POE switches in their lineup. The datasheet I have found mentions "Power over Ethernet: 24 - 57 V (802.3af compatible)" 

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_MR66.pdf

I show the MR66 Release Date 14-JUL-2014 and I think the MS220 PoE line was selling before that date.

But I figure I'm good but I guess a PoE injector is not visible to the Meraki Cloud Dashboard  even if I had them ?

@ndccpf1 Correct devices powered using POE injector will not show they are powered this way in the dashboard. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels