Interpreting Antenna Specs

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

Interpreting Antenna Specs

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_antenna_5GHz_sector_13dBi.pdf

Can somebody please put in layman’s terms what horizontal and vertical mean in this context? Horizontal I’d assume is just coming out straight in front of the device? The vertical axis looks more “directional”...

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
2 REPLIES 2
Chris_M
Getting noticed

Here a decent article on Meraki about coverage pattern and what they mean.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Understanding_Wireless_Performanc...

Basically, the horizontal pattern is how the radio signal propagates on a horizontal plane if the access point or antenna, in this case, is mounted as expected. Vertical is for the vertical plane.

In the diagram, the horizontal plane shows it is directional in its facing but has a wide-angle, with a little going to the rear. It does extend to the left and right but not as strong as directly ahead. The vertical plane shows that it extends deep but not as wide so the frequency does not extend up or down as much. This is very desirable for point to point type connections which this antenna is designed for.

Indoor access points often look doughnut-shaped which is good for omni-directional coverage.

Find my post helpful? Please give me a kudo!
CCNP Certified and Meraki Operator
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The funny thing is that for example airmagnet survey pro gives the antenna patterns like they are on the datasheet.  However like the AP is depicted on them (internal antenna models) it gives the horizontal pattern as if the AP was on the floor pointing upwards.

However in usual ceiling mounts the azimuth (horizontal pattern) should be mirrored!

Btw very important:  If you have a little part that is inwards 6 dB, that means it reaches HALF the distance in that direction.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels