Intermittent Yellow Triangle for upto a minute MR34/ MR42

Ben_Reynolds
Here to help

Intermittent Yellow Triangle for upto a minute MR34/ MR42

Hi All,

I'm hoping somebody has had this issue and found a workaround. Intermittently certain users get disconnected from the wifi for upto a minute. By disconnection I mean they have full signal but a yellow exclamation mark (windows 7 64-bit) Intel and Broadcom Nics. We use WAP2 802.11x for authentication using machine certificate. These users tend to be static in the way that they haven't moved from their desk. If you do catch it when it happens you effectively cannot ping the gateway by ip or hostname, DHCP on client looks to be in tact with the user having the correct IP, S/N, G/W and DNS. Other clients are connected and working on the same AP during this clients

disconnection

In terms of setup we have

802.11 trunk between APs and Cisco 3850 Stacks

Native VLAN carries corporate data (the network we experience the disconnects/ yellow triangle on)

Separate VLAN for Guest Internet

Separate VLAN for Corporate Mobiles

This is what I have looked at-

There is nothing in the Meraki logs to show a disconnection, roam to another AP, generally all I see is the user connect in the morning and then disconnect when they leave.

There is nothing in the event logs on the laptop to show any form of disconnection

There is nothing in the intel advanced logging to show a disconnection.

Power settings on wifi nic are correct All power saving removed.

We have completed RF surveys at all of our sites and tuned channel and power accordingly- this hasn't made a difference.

Radius logs have been checked and again no errors there.

Monitoring of the actual APs shows no drops in connectivity

Switch interfaces showing correct speed and duplex

Switch interface stats look good

No other LAN related issues are currently being experieinced

DHCP and DNS Servers look to be behaving with no errors in the event logs.

I have logged this with Meraki several times now and don't seem to be getting anywhere. If anybody has had any experience of this or can think of anything else we can try I would appreciate it.

11 REPLIES 11
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you tried updating the WiFi NIC drivers on the machine?

You mention you are doing machine based certificate authentication.  Have you configured group policy so that the machines only do machine based authentication (otherwise they will also attempt user based authentication - which will cause a disconnection).

Yes we have Authentication Mode set to Computer Authentication and have updated one of the troubled user's laptops to latest nic drivers. Unfortunately this didn't fix our issue either.

Just curious as well, did you try using another Meraki AP and checking if it's something with the actual hardware?

Enthusiast

Yes we have tried swapping out the AP but we see the issue with multiple users on different APs so at this point I'm not sure it's hardware related, but could well be firmware. However to date Meraki haven't suggested this and we still see the issue after multimple firmware upgrades this year. 

Don't know if anyone found a resolution, but I've experienced the same thing.  A laptop on an Ethernet connection has the yellow triangle.  When that termination is disabled and the machine is connected via a Cell Phone, the yellow triangle disappears.  Also if the laptop is taken to another facility, (different ISP), then no problem.

N.

We have recently began experiencing the same issue on a MR66 with the latest firmware on our Home Office network (the MR66 has been installed for over 2 years and this behavior has only been occurring intermittently over the last 30-40 days.  

And since we experience the "yellow triangle" on the Office WiFi on both Apple (MacBook Pro) and Windows10 (HP) OS/hardware, we have eliminated the OS or vendor hardware as the issue.  

Anyone discover a resolution?

R

Hi

after many months troubleshooting with Meraki support they admitted that this was a bug in the code. After several months with no update from engineering they replaced all of 157 of our APs with a newer model.

Hey Ben,  Thanks for the update.  Did Support give you a case# we can reference so we can open up a case also?

Hi after many months troubleshooting with Meraki support they admitted that this was a bug in the code. After several months with no update from engineering they replaced all of 157 of our APs with a newer model.

@Ben_Reynolds wrote:

Hi after many months troubleshooting with Meraki support they admitted that this was a bug in the code. After several months with no update from engineering they replaced all of 157 of our APs with a newer model.

congratulations.  at least getting the new AP's.  Our situation did not involve AP's but was on a machine hardwired through cabling and a switch.  No solution was ever found.

N.

Ben_Reynolds
Here to help

The ticket raised was 02113389. We ended up escalting through our Meraki account manager and pre-sales engineer assigned to our account. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels