If i use Meraki Enterprise Authentication, are there multiple user lists required

JimmyPhelan
Getting noticed

If i use Meraki Enterprise Authentication, are there multiple user lists required

If my Organization has multiple Combined Networks, the SSID's in each are essentially independent. Is the User List associated with them if i pick "WPA2-Enterprise with Meraki authentication" also unique?

I have a client that wants to push one SSID (corp) across the organziation. My problem is two fold, i have some MX-xxW devices, so the wireless on those is segregated from the MR's, and every office has its own network.

We have not yet settled on Meraki Authentication, and the above could be the biggest nail it the coffin for it. My own instinct is to run a windows NPS server and RADIUS.

As an alternative I have considered placing all Access Points into a single Wireless Network, and placing the individual access points physically in the other offices. That way you get all of the options for the Wireless in one place.

2 REPLIES 2
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I tested creating a Meraki user in one network and they were visible in another.  However authorising a user in one network did not authorise them in another,

So it looks like users are global to an org, but have to been authorised per network.

>As an alternative I have considered placing all Access Points into a single Wireless Network, and placing the individual access points physically in the other offices.

I've done that before because of the way the customer wanted to view analytics.  It worked fine.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

@JimmyPhelan good question, and like @PhilipDAth I had to check. As Philip notes, creating a user in one network makes the user available in others, but you do have to authorise them. I also checked with a MX65W, and any users you create are available on those devices too if you set them to use Meraki authentication (again, they just need authorisation).

There shouldn’t be any compelling reason to put all your access points into one network, but as Philip notes you can if you want for reporting purposes.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels