Identify wireless devices

SOLVED
romualdt
Here to help

Identify wireless devices

I have been recently tasked with identifying all the manufacture of devices that connect to our wireless network.  The next step is to alert and block certain devices from connecting.

any suggestion on how to go about this?  Is this some information I can get with out using the API and with out posting to a HTTP server?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
romualdt
Here to help

Thanks everyone for their ideas.  I was able to get the info I needed using the API and node red.

I created a flow that returns all the networks then from there is lists every device that has connected in the last 30 days to a csv file.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

On the clients page there's a column for OS. That's just a best guess and could be wrong, but it's a start. 

You can also use the OUI of the MAC address to identify the NIC manufacturer. That can also aid in identifying device type. 

If you click into a specific client there's a "Device Type" field that shows a combination of these two things.

AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi,

One Idea could be,

You may tweak the "Column List" by clicking the "+" symbol on top right hand side under Network-wide->Clients. [Screenshot attached for reference]

List Manufacturer.PNG

Thereafter  you may download the list as CSV file. Filter the content in an Excel Sheet as desired. Copy the List of MAC Address you need to block and Apply "Blocked" Policy for them.

[Screenshot attached for reference]

Block Policy.PNG

You may also block devices automatically by assigning a "Blocked" group policy on the basis of "Device type" under Wireless->Access Control.  [I am not sure if this what you want though]

Block Device Type Automatically.PNG

I do not see an option of alerting the blocked devices. However you may display a custom blocked message under Network-wide->General for the Blocked Devices.

Blocked Message.PNG

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
Bossnine
Building a reputation

Beware though, I had initially tried to block personal Cell phones from attaching to our staff wifi and it would end up blocking Corporation owned Ipads (I had the GPO for iPhone set).

randhall
Getting noticed

Meraki Device Type identification is probably not accurate enough for your application.

Depending on how critical it is for you keep devices off you may want to turn the tables and concentrate on only allowing known devices on the network via device registration or certificate-based 802.1x -- both would require heavy lifting.

Depending on your client count you might want to use something low-tech like sorting Clients by First seen time to locate new devices and block undesired devices.

romualdt
Here to help

Thanks everyone for their ideas.  I was able to get the info I needed using the API and node red.

I created a flow that returns all the networks then from there is lists every device that has connected in the last 30 days to a csv file.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels