IOS 16.X and 802.11 Error code 8

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

IOS 16.X and 802.11 Error code 8

Hi ,

I have noticed an increase of error messages with IOS devices running IOS 16.X : 

RaphaelL_0-1668690836223.png

AP are running 28.7 , 29.4.1 , 29.5 and are all reporting this message.

Seems to be only affecting IOS devices.

I was able to reproduce the ''issue'' in lab. I have an Iphone sitting on my desk, AP is 5-6 feet away and randomly the logs are appearing.

No user complaints so far , only flooding my logs. 

SSID is WPA2-Enterprise and clients are far from being out of range. Weird.

Any one with the same issue ?

5 Replies 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I just checked a client running iOS16.0.2, but It looks normal here.  Code 8 means Station has left the basic service area or extended service area and is disassociated. I don't know if It makes any sense to you.  Have you tried to perform a packet capture?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

These issues are too random to perform a packet capture sadly. 

In my lab the Iphone is sitting on my desk and not moving around. It is probably going into a power saving mode or something. Happens at random moments during the day/night.

I think It can be the power saving mode too. 😅

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

My money is on power saving as well.

If you can make it happen in the lab, and then plug the phone into a charger - you'll know.

Plug into PSU as @PhilipDAth  suggested and turn off screen lock and leave for a few hours. I've not had any reports from users having issues on my networks. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels