How to find out the cause of MR issue "not connectivity"?

kusumanegarait
Getting noticed

How to find out the cause of MR issue "not connectivity"?

Lately, I have a problem with my MR devices. It shows "no connectivity" notification. Whereas the internet connection is okay. It just shows only 1 minute with no connectivity. Usually, if MR devices have been restarting, it needs 2-3 minute to running again. Can we find out the cause of this problem? Or any tools to do this? 

not_connectivity.png

18 REPLIES 18
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It is very hard to find this out (often not possible).  You could try the event log.

I always do not find the log at that issue time 😞

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

is the no connectivity at the same time for all APs or at random AP at random time?

did you ask support to take a look at the logs inside the AP?

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Do you have a MX upstream you can check as well or no?

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.

The upstream connection is on good connectivity. Could this affect by PoE on Switch Device?

Adam
Kind of a big deal

@kusumanegarait wrote:

The upstream connection is on good connectivity. Could this affect by PoE on Switch Device?

Yes if the upstream connection is solid but the MR is getting those blips I'd suspect something between the switch and the AP causing occasional interruptions.  Try moving it to a new port, also run a cable test etc...

EClap5
Getting noticed

AP_connectivity.PNG

I have this issue as well. A cable and port issue can be ruled out since this is over multiple ports.  These are connected to a non-Meraki switch.  My MX shows total connectivity during this same time period.  APs are running 25.11

Adam
Kind of a big deal

All of the ports with the small outage are APs? And all are on the same switch?  Are there any APs on that switch that don't have the small outage?

EClap5
Getting noticed

All of these APs connect to the same switch which is just a Cisco SB switch.  Other networks of mine have this issue and utilize the same Cisco SB switch line (SG200/SF500).

And as @kusumanegarait sees, all of these connection issues are logged as one minute.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Do you have a different switch type you can try or do you have a POE injector?  However unlikely, it could be something with the MR firmware and those particular type of switches POE.  If we keep making individual changes we should be able to track it down by process of elimination. 

So far I got that this is happening on multiple networks, to all the AP's connected to those cisco SMB switches via POE.  I assume this happens daily?

EClap5
Getting noticed

After looking into this more, it's got to be the switch.  Half of my networks use Meraki switches and I do not see any of these interruptions in the last 30 days.  I know the solution isn't just upgrade to Meraki full stacks (although this is what I am planning to do for next  year) so I am going to see if I can grab logs and see what they say. 

Also worth noting that some of these APs are MR34s and are using PoE injectors.

@kusumanegaraitwhat switch(es) are you using in your network?

All of my neworks are using Meraki. Most of APs are MR12. @EClap5, so should I try to use POE Injector?

Some of the APs that I am having issues with are MR34s with injectors.  Looking at the Cisco SB switch, I see my uplink port will go down for a minute or so.  In the last day, this has happened 3 times but only one of these instances matches up with a 'blip' on the MX connectivity graph. 

I think my main issue is the firmware that this switch is running.

@EClap5 Have you upgraded the SB Switch Firmware? If you have the solving way, later, please share with us 🙂

@kusumanegarait, sorry I was out of the office last week but I did find something interesting but it might not apply to your case.

I noticed that the MX in this network was seeing huge utilization spikes up to 100% (as seen on the Summary report).  I opened a case and Support told me the USB cellular card was constantly in a 'connecting' state and causing the utilization to spike.  I had local IT disconnect the card last Friday.  Below is my AP graph for the past month and you can clearly see the difference it made by disconnecting the USB card.

AP_connectivity.PNG

This might not be your issue but it definitely shows that there could be many factors that contribute to this AP issue - many of which might not seem related.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Wow that is good to know @EClap5

I have some sites where the USB card is regularly in that state but I haven't noticed the over utilization yet.  I'll have to keep an eye on that. 

I have tried to move the port. The result of cable test is okay. But sometimes, it still happens.

No, it's. Sometimes only one or two APs. I haven't asked to support yet.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels