How many WLANs support for Meraki

niwai
Conversationalist

How many WLANs support for Meraki

How many WLANs can support for Meraki? If I need to add one more apart from the default what should I do?

9 REPLIES 9
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

16, but RF spectrum  wastage starts to increase a lot after 4 (not a Meraki issue, just the way WiFi works).  So good practice recommends you don't create more than 4.

The default screen shows four SSIDs.  If you need another just configure it up.

niwai
Conversationalist

Thanks. Philip,

But we have a requirement to create 18 WLAN for the organization. They are requested to create SSIDs base on the 18 no's department. Can I go ahead with Meraki or what is your suggestion?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>But we have a requirement to create 18 WLAN for the organization.

Assuming this is for internal users ...

Are you saying you want an AP to advertise 18 SSIDs?  The performance will be terrible - regardless of vendor.  Check out this article on the huge overhead that will create.

http://www.revolutionwifi.net/revolutionwifi/2013/10/ssid-overhead-how-many-wi-fi-ssids-are.html 

You would be better to create a single SSID using RADIUS and then drop the users into different VLANs or apply different group policies.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Encryption_and_Authentication/Configuring_RADIUS_Authentication_... 

niwai
Conversationalist

Nope. I need to broadcast 18 SSID with APs and planned to assign 18 VLANs.

Roska
A model citizen

Please just reargument to LoB (?) based on the docs shared in this thread. 

antonis_sp
Building a reputation

Having one AP broadcasting 18 SSIDs at the same time is a bad design, leading to low performance.

No vendor will recommend this kind of deployment.

niwai
Conversationalist

@antonis_sp 

Only one SSID will broadcast in each division and we have 18 divisions with 18 SSID. We do VLAN tagging for each AP and then AP will issue the IPs from the relevant division subnet pool.

antonis_sp
Building a reputation

@niwai 

That makes more sense.

Since the dashboard doesn't allow for more than 15 SSIDs, you would then need to create more then one dashboard networks.

Depending on your case, you could go for one network per division or get more creative with the SSID availability feature and assign SSIDs to APs using AP tags.

The best solution however as mentioned above, would be a single SSID with Radius policies.

Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

@niwai wrote:

we have a requirement to create 18 WLAN for the organization. They are requested to create SSIDs base on the 18 no's department. Can I go ahead with Meraki or what is your suggestion?

Having to have 18 different physical Wireless LANs is a sign that the underlying logical WLAN/VLAN schema is insufficiently refined/faulty.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels