How do 802.11 clients calculate AP RSSI?

GospodinMat1
Here to help

How do 802.11 clients calculate AP RSSI?

Hello,

I know that the question isn't related to some Cisco Meraki product in particular, it's more of a general Wi-Fi question to which, however, I haven't found the answer, so I was wondering if the community can point me to the right direction. 🙂

My question is how do Wi-Fi stations calculate the neighboring station RSSI? Is the metodology standardized? Since RSSI and SNR values are crucial in determining the MCS value during communication, I'm guessing that the way of determining them should also be standardized.

Is there any official document that describes this?

Also, bonus question :), does co-channel interference affect the RSSI value received by the client from an AP? For example, AP has 5 clients associated with it, would RSSI of the AP received by the clients be of the same value with 5 clients as it would with 1 client?

Best regards,

//mm

2 Replies 2
rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

Unfortunately, there isn't really a single standardized method of measuring and mapping RSSI on WiFi cards. Different vendors each have different ways they calculate, and report back to the Access Point.

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

Ok. And as for the second part of the question? Does co-channel interference affect the RSSI value received by the client from an AP? For example, AP has 5 clients associated with it, would RSSI of the AP received by the clients be of the same value with 5 clients as it would with 1 client?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels