How can I see if a wireless device goes offline?

JohnUK
Here to help

How can I see if a wireless device goes offline?

Is there any way that you can see if a wireless device goes offline.  It looks like you can alert if a LAN connection goes offline, not a wireless device.

Is there anyway of doing this?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you referring to an AP - or a device connecting to the WiFi (like a smart phone)?

Sorry not sure why it put that title on the issue, not sure how to change this. 

yes, I am talking about a wireless device going offline such as a wireless printer. We get alerts if the AP goes down. 

Sorry not sure why it put that title on the issue, not sure how to change this. (UPDATE: Title edited by community manager!)

yes, I am talking about a wireless device going offline such as a wireless printer. We get alerts if the AP goes down.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can monitor wired/LAN clients dropping offline under the Security Appliance (MX) section on the Network Wide > Alerts page in Dashboard, which means you need an MX appliance deployed as @PhilipDAth mentioned.  The only other way is to have Meraki Systems Manager installed on client devices and then you can send an alert if any client with any specific tags defined goes offline for more than 5 minutes for example.  That wouldn't work for printers, but for any regular wireless client device you could leverage SM.  In general, there is no configurable alert sent by an MR when client devices disconnect or reconnect, that would in general result in far too many alerts which would likely train you to just ignore them.  

CarolineS
Community Manager
Community Manager

@JohnUK wrote:
Sorry not sure why it put that title on the issue, not sure how to change this.

Hi @JohnUK -

I can update the title of this thread if you want; let me know what it should be.

Cheers!

- Caroline

Caroline S | Community Manager, Cisco Meraki
New to the community? Get started here

Yes, can you change the title. Thanks. 

CarolineS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Done! (I made up an appropriate title - "How can I see if a wireless device goes offline?" - lmk if you'd like it adjusted.)

Caroline S | Community Manager, Cisco Meraki
New to the community? Get started here
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What title would you like?

SCBenoit
Conversationalist

Any chance the printer has a wired connection option, and that there is a Meraki switch port near by ?  I believe switches can send an alert on status change of any port.  The catch is, it alerts on "any port" change, not a specific port.  so not a problem if the switch is a MS220-8P with infrastructure pieces (servers, AP, modem) on it - but if its a 48 port switch with end users the idea is not applicable.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you put a tag on the port, such as "email-alert", then go back into switch alerts you can select to generate an alert when a specific tag goes down instead of just "all ports".

wow - great idea - thank you, I missed that all together -

not_connectivity.png

Is the solution also can check the issue like this? I never know sometimes my AP goes offline, but the others are okay.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels