Hospitality IPTV Multicast issues with MR30H

Emilio-Caamano
Conversationalist

Hospitality IPTV Multicast issues with MR30H

Hi Team,

We have +150 Hotel Rooms with a Meraki MR30H per room. On the access, we have MS390-48 Switches on stacking configuration. TVs are Samsung

The issue: You can tune in to any channel without problems. But after a random amount of time, the TV channel froze and it comes back on random timeframes (From seconds to minutes). Basically, you can't watch TV for over 6 minutes without interruptions that will last seconds to minutes.

After extensive troubleshooting, we noticed that the problem resides on the Meraki MR30H.

When we connect the TV Directly to the MS390 all the channels perform as expected.

But when connected to MR30H (Port 4, in case it is relevant) the problem is persistent.

Any ideas? (There is already a case with Meraki open, as you can imagine)

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
DennisSN
Here to help

Was a solution ever found to this problem, I have the exact same issue in 50 hotel rooms with MR30H 

Recently, a multicast queuing issue was corrected that fixes an issue with dropped packets from the APs WAN interface to the integrated switch ports. 

TBHPTL
A model citizen

Multicast queuing issue is fixed in stable release candidate 28.7.

• Multicast traffic received on the wired is periodically not forwarded to clients on LAN (MR30H)

HI
Upgraded to MR28.7 firmware a couple of weeks ago, but it didn't solve my problems.

Still the only working solution is to take the MR30H out of the loop and connect the TV directly to the MS225 behind it. 

I've just received this information from Meraki when asked about this particular forum thread

NeilF_0-1670280775316.png

NeilF
New here

Hi folks,

Just wondering what TV types you are running which is causing this issue?

Having the same issue and wondering if the TV type might be the same

Hi
I have the issue with older Philips TV sets. I have done extensive testing with a new Samsung unit and not seen issues, so we are replacing 60 units to Samsung.

Thanks for the prompt response.   

Another quick question that I have is whether you are running a guest room entertainment system? (MVI, Tripleplay, Sonifi)

Hi Guys, here is what ended up practically solving the issue for us.

But it is more of an art than a formula since different Switches (MS390 vs MS125) ended up with different settings.

1. Port Isolation - Enabled

2. Link Negotiation - 1 GB Fixed to the MR30H

3. Flood unknown multicast traffic: try Enable / Disable and see if helps.

A firmware upgrade was important since Meraki added Multicast Queuing.

Let me know if this helps.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels