Home Wireless Networking Desing

IPv9
Conversationalist

Home Wireless Networking Desing

Dear,

I am looking for the best recommendation to implement a wireless network for a privately owned home that have multiple floors and doesn't have network cabling infrastructure in place.

The place is to have a firewall to be placed behind the ISP router, a network coverage for the different floors and some surveillance cameras.

Considering the floor area is not that huge, as we are talking about 200 sq meter each, is the wireless mesh solution can fit to be make one gateway connected to the other as bridge ? 

Unfortunately I was unable to locate a deployment or design guide in the web site to help me on this.

Thanks 

Moe

3 REPLIES 3
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

A home mesh solution is going to be your best bet since you can't run CAT6 around. I wouldn't use Meraki for this personally, your FAR better off getting one of those bundles for 300 or 400 bucks instead.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would use Dlink powerline extenders to provide Ethernet ports on different floors, and then plug an AP into each one of those.

Dlink also makes power line extenders with basic WiFi built-in if you want a more budget-sensitive option.

Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

For domestic use, there are problems with using Meraki with respect to the lack of a functioning IGMP-Proxy on the MX range of kit. This need not mean Meraki kit cannot be used, one may place a third party security gateway upstream of the MX and siphon off all the goats (guests, smart devices, multicast IP TV, Audio Visual kit, security equipment, lighting systems etc) to the "Wild West" leaving the sheep to pass through to the secure Meraki network (the promised land).

Unless you are using 802.11ad technology, mesh systems are going to compromised in terms of throughput (802.11ad is generally not supported by manufacturers, yet). If users are streaming videos, then throughput quickly becomes an issue. My rules of thumb is to wire any device that does not move, and avoid wireless uplinking), place a small WiFi AP in each area that requires WiFi, as one has no idea what is in the walls, or how thick they are; some wall board even has foil coating which blocks signals.

There are lots of buildings which people imagine cannot be wired, until they buy a high end audio system or home theatre, at which point they discover that making holes in walls is easier than they imagined. There are some very good installers around, they tend to be expensive.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels