High latency - Samsung S8

Solved
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

High latency - Samsung S8

HI there ,

I own a MR33 with 26.2 firmware. The AP is in my house ( it aint a big house ) and my cellphone ( samsung S8 ) is connected via my 5ghz network. 

Everything is fine except that my cellphone does that : 

Réponse de 192.168.1.70 : octets=32 temps=7 ms TTL=64
Réponse de 192.168.1.70 : octets=32 temps=193 ms TTL=64
Réponse de 192.168.1.70 : octets=32 temps=608 ms TTL=64
Réponse de 192.168.1.70 : octets=32 temps=495 ms TTL=64
Réponse de 192.168.1.70 : octets=32 temps=411 ms TTL=64
Réponse de 192.168.1.70 : octets=32 temps=328 ms TTL=64
Réponse de 192.168.1.70 : octets=32 temps=244 ms TTL=64
Réponse de 192.168.1.70 : octets=32 temps=169 ms TTL=64
Réponse de 192.168.1.70 : octets=32 temps=86 ms TTL=64

Even from the dashboard it shows the same result. I can ping my TV, my RPI anything under 3-5ms. I have placed my cellphone 1 feet from the AP ( dashboard shows signal : 66 db ) and still no changes.

Has anyone even seen that ? I tried unlocking the cellphone , It reduced it a little bit but I'm still over 70-150ms

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This could be a million things:

* The cell phone is going into WiFi sleep mode (more specifically known as "Fast PSP" and "Max PSP" modes) because of low data throughput and is checking in to get its data more and more infrequently.  This is usually not configurable n a phone.  It could be affected by battery remaining, and especially the current amount of data throughput.

* WiFi spectrum can only be used by one device at a time.  Perhaps some other device - not even on your network - is using the spectrum reducing the amount you can use.  Slow devices make this much worse.  I would recommend making the minimum data connection rate 12Mb/s to disable old slow data rates in your environment.  You could also check channel congestion by going to Wireless/RF Spectrum.

* Perhaps you are close enough to something operating a radar to be detected by DFS and the AP is responding to that.

* Perhaps some other general device like a cordless phone, microwave, etc, is causing interference.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This could be a million things:

* The cell phone is going into WiFi sleep mode (more specifically known as "Fast PSP" and "Max PSP" modes) because of low data throughput and is checking in to get its data more and more infrequently.  This is usually not configurable n a phone.  It could be affected by battery remaining, and especially the current amount of data throughput.

* WiFi spectrum can only be used by one device at a time.  Perhaps some other device - not even on your network - is using the spectrum reducing the amount you can use.  Slow devices make this much worse.  I would recommend making the minimum data connection rate 12Mb/s to disable old slow data rates in your environment.  You could also check channel congestion by going to Wireless/RF Spectrum.

* Perhaps you are close enough to something operating a radar to be detected by DFS and the AP is responding to that.

* Perhaps some other general device like a cordless phone, microwave, etc, is causing interference.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Well , I though that unlocking the phone would force the Wifi out of sleep but that's not the case. Scolling through my facebook feed and my pings drops to 3-4ms as expected. I get a couple 75ms from time to time but nothing serious.

We learn something everyday !
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels