Help: No Internet When Connected to MR42

SOLVED
GIL_Jared
Conversationalist

Help: No Internet When Connected to MR42

Hello,

I am experiencing an oddball of an issue today. Our company utilizes several MR42 APs for wide coverage. All the installations up until this point have been a breeze. Installed a new one today and registered the license, claimed the AP, etc. Everything is A-OK until I noticed whenever I connected a device to it, it would display "No Internet" no matter what SSID I use.

Upon inspection on Meraki Dashboard, it is displaying VLAN 10, VLAN 2 DNS errors. *See attached image*

Meraki_AP_Issue_1.png

I have statically assigned an IP and verified all the DNS information is the same as every other AP on the network. Why is this one acting up and the others aren't? Could this possibly be an issue with the ISP? 

All firmware is UtD.

Network rookie with training wheels on, so be gentle. Thanks in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GIL_Jared
Conversationalist

[UPDATE] -- FOUND THE SOLUTION!

As someone mentioned previously, the issue was with the switch config, not the device config. Netgear has a really dated UI and obscured the issue a bit. I was able to find it after digging around the other night.

As seen below, I went into Switching > VLAN > VLAN Membership > Click the 3 pixel down arrow and select the VLAN ID. VLAN ID #2 and #10 had port 27/28 (the two APs having issues) as blank. Was not tagged or untagged.

Once I tagged them and applied the settings the issue resolved. 

Meraki_AP_Issue_RESOLUTION.png

The APs now are able to pull clients using any SSID/VLAN and allow internet without any issues.

Thank you all for the replies. It helped narrow down the issue.

Take care

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

How is the switch port it connects  to configured.

The router has this vlans and assign dhcp?

GIL_Jared
Conversationalist

The switch is statically assigned and the port is open. Nothing should be blocking the port. All the other APs go into various switches and it basically is just plug and play. Nothing needs configured from that end. 

Here is the VLAN info from Meraki: 

Meraki_AP_Issue_2.png

Here is the info from the switch that the AP is connected to:

Meraki_AP_Issue_3.png

All ports are "admit all" and enabled. All of the ports are labeled as "untagged." 

Hopefully that helps. I'll be happy to provide more info if you tell me where to look.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If a statically assigned configuration works, but a DHCP one does not work, then take a look at the difference in parameters between the two.

Good suggestion, I tried this and both DHCP and Static are flagging DNS/VLAN errors. When I attempt the same thing with other APs, no problem. DHCP happily assigns an IP and clients can connect without any issues.

as ww mentioned what is the switch port config? sounds like it's not a trunk or not carrying the vlans required.

GIL_Jared
Conversationalist

[UPDATE] -- FOUND THE SOLUTION!

As someone mentioned previously, the issue was with the switch config, not the device config. Netgear has a really dated UI and obscured the issue a bit. I was able to find it after digging around the other night.

As seen below, I went into Switching > VLAN > VLAN Membership > Click the 3 pixel down arrow and select the VLAN ID. VLAN ID #2 and #10 had port 27/28 (the two APs having issues) as blank. Was not tagged or untagged.

Once I tagged them and applied the settings the issue resolved. 

Meraki_AP_Issue_RESOLUTION.png

The APs now are able to pull clients using any SSID/VLAN and allow internet without any issues.

Thank you all for the replies. It helped narrow down the issue.

Take care

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels