HP Wireless Printer with Meraki Authentication 802.1X RADIUS

watdee
Getting noticed

HP Wireless Printer with Meraki Authentication 802.1X RADIUS

What would be the settings\procedures in order to get an HP Printer working with Meraki 802.1X authentication?

2018-08-07_18-00-58.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
Adam
Kind of a big deal

It may be possible to get 802.1x to auth on devices that support it but we run a separate dedicated wireless network and do mac whitelisting since most devices don't support 802.1x.

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
watdee
Getting noticed

@Adam wrote:

It may be possible to get 802.1x to auth on devices that support it but we run a separate dedicated wireless network and do mac whitelisting since most devices don't support 802.1x.

I ended up doing exactly that while waiting for an answer here but it seems less secure.  Someone could spoof the mac address to gain access, correct?

These are the instructions I used https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Splash_Page/Using_a_Sign-on_Splash_Page_to_Restrict_Wireless_Acc...

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You should use PEAP.

@PhilipDAth wrote:

You should use PEAP.

It's not in front of me at the moment to try out but if I use PEAP, what would I put in the server id field and do I need to do anything with certificates? 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Ideally you should only need to put in a username and password.  Meraki use a public certificate, so it should already be trusted by the printer.

@PhilipDAth wrote:

Ideally you should only need to put in a username and password.  Meraki use a public certificate, so it should already be trusted by the printer.

I believe I did try that combination of PEAP and only a username\password and it didn't seem to work.  I'll have to try it again when I get a chance.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It 100% should be PEAP.  Check the log in the Meraki dashboard as well to see if it says anything interesting.

Gumby
Getting noticed

I've wasted countless hours attempting to get a pagewide onto our wifi network.

If you work it out, please post back!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels