Guest SSID DNS pointing to internal IP addresses

Brandon_
New here

Guest SSID DNS pointing to internal IP addresses

Right now I have a guest network with with 2 firewall rules that allow port 80 and 443 into the network.  This is due to an app our employees use on their phones.  We don't allow mobile devices on our network so these rules were put in to allow the api to connect.  Our api can now be reached externally, so I tried to turn off ports 80 and 443 from our firewall and set a custom DNS of 8.8.8.8 for guest.  The guest network should now have no access to the internal network with those rules removed, and the dns to the api should resolve to our external IP address.  The problem is it's not.  When I run a nslookup from a laptop on our guest network it is still pulling an internal IP address.  When I run it from my cell phone hotspot it resolves to our public IP address.  

I just found this article that says the process is the AP check it's DNS cache.  I think it's still using cached data when making these lookups after I swapped to an external DNS server.  How can I clear the cache in this ssid so it will actually use the 8.8.8.8 server instead of the cached data.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Client_Addressing_and_Bridging/DNS_and_NAT_Mode

2 Replies 2
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Brandon_ I think if the AP is set to use internal DNS, then the cache will also.  Have you tried setting the AP to use 8.8.8.8 itself?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

After changing the DNS, reboot the device that you changed the setting on.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels