Guest Network with Meraki Authentication

Solved
Son
Here to help

Guest Network with Meraki Authentication

Hi Community!

I need some assistance with an issue we are experiencing and not sure how it is supposed to work so it might be by design!

Our Guest network simply uses Meraki Authentication where the user has to create a Meraki account on our Meraki generated splash page which then gets automatically authorized. The splash page frequency for this network is 24 hours. Now... what I expect to happen is that the new user goes into the list of Users in the Dashboard and shows as Authorized by "Automatic"and that even after the 24 hours for the splash page frequency passes the accounts are still authorized for sign in they just have to login via the splash page again to access the network?

According to one of my users in a new network we have just deployed after the 24 hours are up they try signing in with their Meraki account and they just get access denied and when I check their user on the portal they are no longer authorized. Is this the correct behaviour? I don't expect the accounts to lose their automatic authorization status after the 24 hours and instead expected the user to have to accept the splash page again although I might be wrong. I am sure that on one of our other networks guest network which is setup the same this is working as expected.

Hope someone can help me understand / resolve this and how I can make it how we would like!

Thanks

SonSettings.JPG

1 Accepted Solution

I can confirm what @PhilipDAth already said. I've tested it for you.

After the session expires, the Network-Wide > Users page still shows "Authorized for SSID" "yes". The rest of the columns are also identical.

What does change is what is shown on the Wireless > Splash logins page.

2019-10-26 15_47_10-Greenshot.png

See the "Login expired at:".

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Thanks Brecht will try that. Can you confirm if the authorized  flag should be set to No after the splash page frequency of 24 hours has passed? i.e. this user first associated and created their Meraki account yesterday at 15:23, would I expect this to be Authorized: No after that? If that is the case and they are not authorized it would just be a case of them signing into the splash page again?  Thanks!

Example.JPG

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

@Son Authorized will just mean he has access to go into the SSID in question. The "No" flag would not allow access.

Enthusiast

Thanks @kYutobi kYutobi - I had determined that, I am more trying to find out what would cause the flag to change to "No" is it purely a manual administrator process to stop the access once automatic registration process is complete and the account is authorized? Or does that flag change to No once the 24 hour splash page frequency time has ended (which is what we have set)?

I presume it is a manual change?

Thanks

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Authorization just means that he is allowed to enter the network. The splash frequency should ask every 24 hours to authenticate the user but as far as that goes you have it so that the user is "auto" authorized upon registration. If you want to un-authorize it would be a manual thing.

Enthusiast
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Once authorised it remains authorised.  It will not change to "no" on its own.  Only a human can change that.

I can confirm what @PhilipDAth already said. I've tested it for you.

After the session expires, the Network-Wide > Users page still shows "Authorized for SSID" "yes". The rest of the columns are also identical.

What does change is what is shown on the Wireless > Splash logins page.

2019-10-26 15_47_10-Greenshot.png

See the "Login expired at:".

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels