Fixed wireless internet

freddy7
Here to help

Fixed wireless internet

Can a Fixed Wireless internet set up conflict with Meraki wifi? We use an internet service provider which I believe uses Microwave towers (they look like small dishes) to deliver internet. The location is also using Meraki Wifi. Could this situation cause interferance on the wifi network? Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Probably/possibly.  Have you looked at wireless > monitor > rf spectrum? 

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

I have and this is what I see. Over all looks good except for ones showing as very high. not entirely sure what I am looking at though. thank you

freddy7_0-1616522849345.png

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@freddy7 I'd say that's pretty terrible on the 2.4GHz and pretty bad on 5GHz, below is from one of our sites in central London with 29 APs:

Screenshot_20210323-191105_Chrome.jpg

For each of your APs you need to see what is causing the interference and if it is the neighbouring APs of yours, turn down the power on some of them.

It could of course be wireless hotspots from the occupants phones etc. so education might be in order.

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Well, you want to avoid using those congested channels.  Auto channel should sort it out, but you might need to set them manually.  Are you having any problems currently or were just curious?

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you click on one of the APs and then go to interfering APs you get the details about what is causing an issue, here from an AP with ~50% usage the APs of ours are lined through and other site's APs are still shown:

Screenshot_20210323-192208_Chrome~2.jpg

As you can see, our interfering APs aren't creating strong problems.

If I look at an AP at 81% very high, on channels 11 and 44 and 2.4 GHz. Under utlization I see channel 11 is at 79%. If I only look at the channel 11 and interferance I see the following:  

freddy7_3-1616531340649.png

It appears I have interferance from FraserHome and some of the APs onsite such as 1302/1304, Commonds. And for some reason 1302/1304 is showing up twice.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@freddy7 if you look to the left of your screen grab do both 1302/1304 SSIDs have the same MAC address?  Also you can see at least one Roku device interfering with that AP 

This is in relaation to the previous post I had started: I just wasn't sure I should start a new post. 

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Wireless-LAN/High-interference-situation/m-p/112874#M16373

According to the profiles I believe we are using auto channel right now. Here are some screen shots if this helps provide further insite. 

freddy7_0-1616527379726.png

I am bit confused as this shows Auto Channel if I go to Edit settings I see the following:

freddy7_1-1616527690956.png

Which is correct? Thanks

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@freddy7 you have manual overrides on every AP.  You may have some settings at auto (channel power for example) and others manual (channel width shown above).  If you go through the radio settings it should show similar to below where one AP has a manual power setting (15)

Screenshot_20210323-193544_Chrome.jpg

If I look under 2.4 or 5 all are auto.

freddy7_0-1616530325667.png

freddy7_1-1616530384344.png

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels