Firmware 27.5 out, straight to release candidate but not fixing auth error logs

15 Replies 15
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Upgrade went smooth this weekend on MR45 and MR46

Roger_Beurskens
Building a reputation

Using it at my home "lab" with 3x MR33 ( and a Mr32 that sticks at mr26,x)  without a problem.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have it running on an MR55 and MR56 at home and MR42s at one work location, no new issues so far

jrhop
Getting noticed

Hi @cmr could you please let me know what auth errors you are getting? I have had some issues with a test site and some older laptops.

Hi Guys,

Upgraded this morning on MR33 at the home lab. AP working OK with the upgrade however I had to reverse back to 26.8.1 as I found a number of devices not getting on to the AP and getting the Internet. These where mainly Apple devices. Amazon Kindles also played up to start with, but worked ok after a restart. Tried a restart on an apple iPad, but no joy. Had to go back 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@John-Yberllan what type of SSID security and routing are you using, we now have it on about 50 APs including multiple MR33s and I have an iPad connected to at least one downloading updates from apple.com

Same behaviour observed with Mac devices for us.

Upgraded 15 MR53s last night from MR 26.8.1 → MR 27.5.1
Woke up to no Apple devices working at all. Both Macbooks and iPhones.

Rollback to 26.8.1 fixed the issue for us.

Could this be related to Apple's latest changes on mac address randomization?

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Meraki_and_iOS_14_MAC...

NSDNetworkAdmin
Conversationalist

I upgraded our MR45 AP's (roughly 200 of them) a few nights ago.  I started fielding support calls from our buildings right away the next morning.  I currently have a case open with Meraki to try to find out why.  The second we roll an AP back to 26.8.1, the issues are resolved.

Our users were seeing low signal strength even though they were connected to the AP in their respective room.  Some of the AP's showed multiple reboots on Meraki's side.  I wish I could give you more details but I have a few other fires that have a higher priority at this time.  I will send an update in the next day or two once I have time to do some more testing.

My temporary fix was rolling all AP's back to 26.8.1.  Everything is running fine again but I can say for certain, 27.5 seems to be problematic on MR45 AP's in our environment. 

Hi @NSDNetworkAdmin we also had problems with MR 27.5 but on our MR33's, association failures, this was when MR 27.5 was in stable RC. We rolled back to 26.8.1 and instantly issues were resolved. I was very surprised to see MR 27.5 now under stable as appears there are issues with it. Been running on 26.8.1 for a week or two and been very stable.

dmiss
Here to help

Upgraded a couple of weeks ago, all was fine except for a couple of one offs (majority MR42 env). Purchased 10 MR42s and they would boot up fine, but would get hung up in the firmware update portion. In the dashboard, it will say the APs are up to date on firmware, but on their local status page, it would stay at 0%. Factory reset did nothing. Ended up rolling back to 26.6.1 and all APs came online completely. 

JasonDB
Conversationalist

We had several issues with our MR74s after upgrading to MR 27.5. While we still saw a strong signal, we experienced severe packet loss at most of our locations after the upgrade, though our MR42s seemed to run fine. 

We have since rolled back to the old firmware, and the problems seem to have gone away. 

I am working with Meraki to figure out the issue here as well. 

Please keep us informed. I rolled back all our organizations to 26.8.1 today. 27.5 has been non-stop complaints about speed and latency issues on wifi. Never seen it this bad across so many clients on a Meraki network before. The Meraki tech I worked with said they've gotten zero complaints about 27.5. Unfortunately, these were production networks so I couldn't leave the firmware in place to troubleshoot.

jrhop
Getting noticed

Cant believe they have had zero complaints, 27.5 is very unstable. Also never seen two stable releases before, if it was so stable surely they would remove the option for 26.8.1?

jrhop_0-1603353769645.png

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@jrhop 27.x only works on 802.11ac wave 2 and 802.11ax APs, older APs need 26.x  

Both have issues with particular device / AP combinations but in general both work well for us over 100+ APs, neither are terrible.

@jrhop Strange, I don't have 26.8.1 as a stable release only 26.6.1 (released Jan 2020) and 27.5.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels