Feature Request: View AP Reboot History

MacElster
Here to help

Feature Request: View AP Reboot History

We are currently having issues related to power delivery to our APs and it would assist us in finding problem APs if we could see a log  (or make an API call?) of which APs have restarted and when.  Currently, we have to contact support over phone and have them look at it for us.

11 REPLIES 11
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

ap's are connected to a meraki switch?

your ap's connect the first few ports from the switch?

is it not possible to check the switch port status?

No - they are connected to Tellabs ONTs which are unreliable for reporting on that kind of information.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It would need to be an SNMP trap that the device sends when it reboots.  Polling wouldn't catch the reboot 99% of the time.  It is a brief blip in power that causes the device to restart.  I don't see capability for that kind of SNMP trap.   

@MacElster  usually if I want to see if an AP has rebooted, I search for the event 'Ethernet port carrier change' in the event log.  Would that work for you?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I just tried a dashboard reboot.  @EClap5 "Ethernet port carrier change'" does not get logged for access points.  The graph also does not show any disruption to service.

I don't think there is any way to trap this using only an access point.

Yes, I think there should be a feature to log all devices "booting up".

@PhilipDAththat's interesting.  I usually use the event to track when my old boss gets into Dashboard and reboots the AP that he is connected to because it's 'slow'.  Just before my first post I searched for the event and it brought up everyone one of my APs in a particular network that had firmware updated/reboot this past weekend. 

The events do not show up in my history when a reboot occurs.  

@MacElsterI'm not sure why they show up for me.  This is the log of the AP reboots after a 2am firmware upgrade.

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 10.55.21 AM.png

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The connectivity graph shows this.  Here is a screen shot.  I turned one of the APs off and back on again.

Screenshot from 2018-01-30 12-33-00.png

The reboots happen so quickly that they get missed between polls, so the console graph does not show the outage.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels