Extending Z3 Wireless

Solved
easygoer72
Conversationalist

Extending Z3 Wireless

Hi,

What are the best solutions to extend the wireless from a Z3?  Will the MR series hook in as a mesh?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Unfortunately the wireless from a Z1/3 is pretty much entirely separate from that delivered by MR access points (and lacking quite a few advanced MR features).   This is the same for MX--W too.    An added MR will not wirelessly mesh from a Z or MX--W.
I usually caution customers carefully on this sort of thing, before they deploy those models - particularly with the MX, where it's likely to be placed somewhere least conducive to delivering good WiFi coverage.
You can wire an MR to a Z, provided the PoE port is spare and configure the same SSID on both and, provided you use the same auth method, it will probably work, but it's pretty nasty - no smooth roaming, for example.

Remember that Z3 delivers 802.3af PoE only, so most WiFi 6 MRs would not be supported.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Unfortunately the wireless from a Z1/3 is pretty much entirely separate from that delivered by MR access points (and lacking quite a few advanced MR features).   This is the same for MX--W too.    An added MR will not wirelessly mesh from a Z or MX--W.
I usually caution customers carefully on this sort of thing, before they deploy those models - particularly with the MX, where it's likely to be placed somewhere least conducive to delivering good WiFi coverage.
You can wire an MR to a Z, provided the PoE port is spare and configure the same SSID on both and, provided you use the same auth method, it will probably work, but it's pretty nasty - no smooth roaming, for example.

Remember that Z3 delivers 802.3af PoE only, so most WiFi 6 MRs would not be supported.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm with @GreenMan .  Disable the WiFi on the Z3 and get something like an MR36.

The first thing you'll notice is the better coverage the MR36 provides.  You can position the MR36 closer to the middle of where you need coverage (you still need to get a cable to it).

If you need, you can then getting a second MR36 for MESH.  Note that your throughput drops by more than 50% when using WiFi through that MESH MR.

Going sideways; I've had a good experience using the DLink power link extenders (which extend your network over the power lines in your house) ...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels