Ethernet Cable Categories type for Meraki Access Points

Solved
IanH
Getting noticed

Ethernet Cable Categories type for Meraki Access Points

Hi All

I'm looking for a Table or any information on what Ethernet Cable Categories some of the newer and more Powerful Meraki AX Access Points need.

This is in regards to potential refresh requirements of older installations of access points.

The MR36 and MR44 may still work with Cat 4 or 5 Cable, but moving to the MR46 and MR56, do these need to have Cat5e or Cat6 feeding in to the AP from the Switch?

Does any one have any confirmation or information on this please?

Thanks

ian 

1 Accepted Solution
3 Replies 3
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@IanH you should generally go with the best cable that you can reasonably afford to make the connection less susceptible to corrosion and oxidation.

We always use shielded cable and have used CAT6a for the last 5 years, CAT 6 since in the mid 2000's and CAT 5e before that.  We used type 1 before so I've never seen a CAT 4 or 5 cable being used for data in the last 25 years...

The higher powered APs do sometimes clock down even with shielded CAT6 cables if they are over 10 years old so I'd always over specify where you can.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You shouldn't be using anything lower than Cat5e if you want gigabit speeds. Ideally you should be using Cat6a I personally wouldn't be using anything lower than Cat6.

Just remember as well as your structured cabling being a specific type your patch leads need to match it as well. I check any cable before I use it and if it's lower than cat6 it gets recycled.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels