End of support for MR's - was 7 years now only 4 years ?

pjc
Building a reputation

End of support for MR's - was 7 years now only 4 years ?

I've noticed that the normal 7 years end of support life for the MR's (Mr18, MR32 etc) has now been reduced to only 4 years from end of sale in the latest published list for the MR33 and MR42

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Other_Topics/Meraki_End-of-Life_(EOL)_Produc...

Is this the new standard now ?  So if you buy models just before end of sale they are only good for 4 years before you have to replace them ?

When and why did this policy change ?

pjc_0-1659601609993.png

pjc_1-1659601659345.png

3 REPLIES 3
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I doubt anyone in these forums including employees will be able to tell you why.  I also don't think there is any law or regulation requiring Cisco to support anything for any specific length of time.  That said, consider the difference between end of sale, end of life and end of support.  End of support typically goes much longer and I think you can find Meraki devices still supported after 10 or more years.  

As long as you can purchase a license it is supported, but if the hardware fails it may be subject to being replaced by a different device if the original device is no longer 

available or being made.

Best.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal

>As long as you can purchase a license it is supported,

There is no model-specific licence for an MR.  An MR licence can be used for any MR model.

Once the end of support date has passed, even if you have a licence, it won't be supported.  It is likely to keep working, but there wont be any software updates, and if it breaks - tough luck.

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Thanks @PhilipDAth that makes sense for MR. I think MX and MS if they sell you the license they will cover the hardware with it though, right? I know some licenses are labeled EOS but can still be purchased making me think if the MX or MS failed Meraki would replace with same or similar. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels