Effects of LAN link speed being lower than WAN bandwidth

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

Effects of LAN link speed being lower than WAN bandwidth

Weird situation. A cable somebody installed between buildings on this property is very old and only capable of 10mbit link because of unitized wire pairs. Its like CAT 5 or something. The WAN internet connection is capable of 25mbit and comes into building A where people use it just fine. Then in building B, which is the one connected via 10mbit wired link, the internet feels choppier and its not just because its lower bandwidth, more like it feels congested in some weird way. The switch in Building B that receives the 10mibt connection is gigabit. Is there something about the differential that could be causing the choppiness? We're gonna rewire the cable today for gigabit but Im wondering if thats a known symptom? 

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
5 REPLIES 5
antonis_sp
Building a reputation

Usually on bad cabling, ethernet connections fall back to 10mbit half-duplex, which causes a lot of collisions on transmitted traffic.
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't think congestion would be the correct word.
Rather unstable wired connections could simply cause intermittent packet loss which makes the experience choppier.

The half duplex and packet loss thoughts feel the most resonant for this experience. And i just found out the cable is cat6. So it must be a crap wiring job. It’s a vacation house I’m staying at in Italy and, as always, i can’t keep my hands to myself. Thanks all.

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Perhaps the cable had higher than normal attention.  Perhaps water had got into it.  Perhaps it was experiencing a lot of CRC errors.

They unplugged it (in the other house) and plugged it back in and it lit up at 100mbit (speed of the switch in house A). Funny. That did it. They will come back and replace the switch soon just to update things to 1gbit. Dont forget to unplug and replug!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels