Doubt of graphs of the section Organization/Summary report

SOLVED
Sistemas_SLG
Here to help

Doubt of graphs of the section Organization/Summary report

Greetings members of the community!

I have a particular doubt that I have not been able to resolve. It turns out that in the "Organization / Summary report" section, the "Usage over time" graphs appear. If I take 2 weeks where week 1 had wireless connectivity problems and week 2 were all problems solved; Why is it that the graph that corresponds to week 2 the peaks are more erratic where everything worked correctly?

Basically the changes that were made were of policies in the different VLANs, all APs were placed in an exclusive VLAN for them with their respective policies, unnecessary SSIDs were removed in the different APs, a large number of clients were placed in a SSID in NAT mode with its own policies.

I remain attentive to any collaboration and thank you very much!

Week 1Week 1week 2week 2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HodyCrouch
Building a reputation

I checked one of my own organizations and I see the same behavior (more jagged lines in the report for Feb 18 - Feb 24).  I didn't make any WiFi configuration changes in your two time periods.

My guess is that Meraki stores usage data at a high resolution for a limited period of time and keeps lower resolution usage data available for a longer period.  It feels like they are using 30 days at the approximate cutoff.

In a few quick tests, I found that the summary report showed higher resolution usage data whenever the start date of the report was within the last 30 days.  Any older than that and the entire usage data plot showed lower resolution data.

Again, just a guess so check it out for yourself and see if you agree.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ChrisKemsley
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Out of pure curiosity as I have no answer to the why - does the graph for week to change and resemble something closer to week 1 if you change the top results to 10 as they were in week 1?

If I go several weeks and even months back the graphs always have the same pattern of week 1, and after week 2 that I mention they all stayed with that pattern of erratic peaks.

HodyCrouch
Building a reputation

I checked one of my own organizations and I see the same behavior (more jagged lines in the report for Feb 18 - Feb 24).  I didn't make any WiFi configuration changes in your two time periods.

My guess is that Meraki stores usage data at a high resolution for a limited period of time and keeps lower resolution usage data available for a longer period.  It feels like they are using 30 days at the approximate cutoff.

In a few quick tests, I found that the summary report showed higher resolution usage data whenever the start date of the report was within the last 30 days.  Any older than that and the entire usage data plot showed lower resolution data.

Again, just a guess so check it out for yourself and see if you agree.

I understand what you tell me, but when returning several weeks ago the behavior of the graphics are like that of week 1, in addition to this just before starting week 2 of February 18, the changes mentioned above were made.

That's why I assume it's not just a coincidence. Anyway many cries for their answers!

In the same way I did some tests moving around between days close to the week and between one day and another it changes from straight peaks to erratic peaks.

It would be to wait to see who else gives us an answer or it would be on this side.

Thank you!

I think @HodyCrouch is right. For me the graph changes from detailed to more averaged as soon as I include March 13th into the time period. Which is the one month border for the graph at this point in time. Likely the resolution of the data for that day (and those before) is lower, so the whole graph's resolution is adapted to that lower resolution as soon as you include a date that's more than 1 month in the past.

Thank you very much everyone for your answers and comments!

Until a next opportunity... Regards!
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels