Does a Meraki POE Injector Also Server as Ethernet Data Repeater?

NYskier
New here

Does a Meraki POE Injector Also Server as Ethernet Data Repeater?

I need to install a new Meraki MR74 access point on a 550 foot Ethernet run.  The first leg of the run is about 250 feet from a non-POE switch.  I'm going to put a Meraki 802.3at POE Injector (Model MA-INJ-4) to power the MR74 on the second 300 foot run to the MR74.  My question is does the Meraki POE Injector also act as an Ethernet network extender and repeat/boost the Ethernet data signal?  Or do I need to also install a switch to boost/repeat the Ethernet data signal?  If the Meraki POE Injector does not boost the signal and I use a switch, should I install it before or after the POE Injector?

I've done some research and most POE injectors are passive on the data network but I can't find anything specific to the Meraki POE injector. 

Thanks in advance for you help!  

3 REPLIES 3
Aaron_Wilson
A model citizen

Injectors are passive and do not regenerate the signal, they simply inject power.

You'll need a switch, or you could go with a media convertor. Use fiber to extend the link, convert back to copper and inject. There may even be media convertors which provide PoE.
SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

If the cable runs are Cat6 I think you will be ok without a switch, but YMMV. If it is Cat5 it is a pretty good chance you will need a switch. Best thing would be do a cable test pre and post install. You will get loss, but if the amount is acceptable then you might be ok, but is going to depend on the cable and the environment, then the Injector.

This seems outdated, but might help regarding the injector.

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_poe_8023af.pdf

You could consider using an Ethernet Extender.  These typically use VDSL2.  Note you will take a big performance hit compared to standard Ethernet.

https://www.snappernet.co.nz/products/category/13/ethernet-extenders

Personally I would compare the cost of running fibre plus a PoE injector versus an MS120-8P.  The MS120-8P will regenerate the signal, will support PoE, and will provide a management view of what is happening (plus allow cable testing in both directions).

My personal guess is using an ME120-8P in the middle will work out cheaper.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels