Does MR74 feed its antenna I/O back through its ethernet port in Repeater Mode?

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

Does MR74 feed its antenna I/O back through its ethernet port in Repeater Mode?

If I have a MR74 thats on a building on the receiving end of a long haul across a field, so connected via 5ghz directional antenna to a gateway MR74, if I power this receiving MR74 from a PoE+ switch, will the MR74 send the internet into the switch such that anything I plug into the switch is bridged to the network? I believe the answer is yes but wanted to make sure.

Followup question - if yes, if I should plug another AP say a MR42 into that same PoE+ switch, it would probably go look for an actual gateway over wireless before using the internet connection being provided by the MR74's ethernet port, correct? Would it properly detect the network communication and traffic coming over the ethernet port AND wireless with the MR74? 

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
1 Reply 1
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

I believe this is the help doc you're looking for:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Extending_the_LAN_with_a_Wireless...

In short, connecting the switch will work. But then also connecting another AP will not (unless you put another MX there and build the "supported" topology shown in the link above.

No VLANs transferred over the wireless mesh bridge is also an important limitation.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels