Do I need to set IP address of SNMP server when I want to use SNMPv2c?

CHGR
Comes here often

Do I need to set IP address of SNMP server when I want to use SNMPv2c?

I couldn't find any columns to set SNMP servers' IP address on Meraki. Where can I set it? Isn't it mandatry?

4 Replies 4
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Do you mean syslog? Syslog requires that you configure an IP, but SNMP simply uses the community string and then you poll it from a remote device (like solarwinds etc.). You can lock it down with firewall rules if you want to make it more secure though.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

You can set the SNMP server to receive Traps on the Network-wide > Alerts page. This is not a mandatory setting; you only set the server if you wish to receive traps. You can still poll the Cloud or your devices just fine as long as the other SNMP settings are set up correctly under Network-wide > General.

@jdsilva

"You can set the SNMP server to receive Traps on the Network-wide > Alerts page".

I was wondering what you were talking about and then I found this:

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Monitoring_and_Reporting/SNMP_Overview_and_...

"Contact Meraki Support to have the feature enabled on the desired organization."

Why wouldn't they just enable this by default aaaargg.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Oh... Hah! I forgot that was hidden behind an NFO. We have it enabled on all our Orgs so I always just see it. Nice catch.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels