Do Clients get kicked when AP changes channels?

trunolimit
Building a reputation

Do Clients get kicked when AP changes channels?

I've got a location with several MR16s. They are complaining the main SSID keeps going in and out. I looked at the event log and the MR16 has been changing channels a lot. When the channel change happens do clients have to reassociate ? 

Also when the AP is preforming an RF scan do clients get kicked?

Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 2.48.02 PM.png

5 Replies 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I am not certain on this answer, but I do believe they have to re-associate.  They can't keep communicating on the existing channel, because the AP is no longer using it, so the client must re-associate with the new channel.

However the client may not have to do a full re-authentication, because that data may be cached like a roaming event.  So the move to the new channel should be reasonably fast and invisible to the client (assuming the client firmware has good roaming support).

From the below logs, it looks like you are experiencing a lot of interference.

The MR16 is not really a good choice in this environment, because it has no independent scanning radio.  It can only do opportunistic scanning when it is not busy serving clients.

Also, due the the interference, it seems probably you need more AP(s) to counter the interference.

I would consider getting a minimum of MR33's to operate in this area, and at least one more than you do now.  You could also consider using the MR53, which has much greater capability to handle difficult RF environments.  If it was my money, I would be going for the MR53's to have the best chance of stablising the environment.

Another option would be to try and identify the source of interference.  You'll probably need to get someone in to do an RF site survey to try and figure this out.  Unfortunately a lot of the time it is caused by things outside of your control (such as other near by business).

Another option you could consider playing with if you don't have money for more APs, is to play with the RX-SOP level to try and limit the impact of interference.  I would only proceed with playing with RX-SOP in desperation.  It is very easy to make things worse.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Radio_Settings/Receive_Start_of_Packet_(RX-SOP)

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Radio_Settings/RF_Profiles#RX-SOP

trunolimit
Building a reputation

We are trying to talk the client into upgrading. In the meantime I want to set the channels to static so the channels stay put. However I seem to not be able to see how I set the AP to a static channel? how do I do this?

Here you go.  Note that if the interference is bad enough that the AP wants to change, it may be bad enough that clients will fail to be able to maintain a stable connection at all, as opposed to just loosing their connection and then then re-connecting.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Radio_Settings/RF_Profiles#Channel_Assignment_Method

Also I would try and disable the 2.4Ghz spectrum.  It is just too crowded these days and allowing clients to use it often causes grief.

@PhilipDAth wrote:

You could also consider using the MR53, which has much greater capability to handle difficult RF environments.  If it was my money, I would be going for the MR53's to have the best chance of stablising the environment.

Just my 2 cents. If multigigabit on the copper side isn't needed then MR52 is sufficient. From a radio perspective it performs identically.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels