Displaying WAP hostname on CDP

SOLVED
MikeC
Here to help

Displaying WAP hostname on CDP

Hi,

Trivial question.... I've configured hostname on the Dashboard for each WAP, but when I looked at the CDP neighbors on the switch the WAP is connected to, I only see the WAP's MAC address as hostname. How do I display the WAP hostname I configured on the dashboard to show up on CDP?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Enable LLDP on the lan switch, and then look at that info.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you go into the actual switch port to the CDP/LLDP section on the right hand side is a link called "raw".  This display a lot more of the CDP/LLDP info.

It is possible you might need to be running 10.x code to see this.  Can't remember.

Screenshot from 2018-07-10 19-32-08.png

Screenshot from 2018-07-10 19-33-45.png

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Are you using Meraki switches and APs or a mixed environment?

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
MikeC
Here to help

Sorry... I should've been more specific about the LAN switch... It's Cisco Catalyst, not Meraki switch. Only the WAP is Meraki. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Enable LLDP on the lan switch, and then look at that info.

Interesting... I did look at LLDP neighbor before and was sure that it didn't display the hostname. It does now. I guess I didn't wait long enough for LLDP to update. Thanks.

BTW... Forgot to ask... Does it mean that there's really no way to display hostname on CDP neighbor list on Cisco Catalyst? 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't know - but Meraki primary supports LLDP.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels