Device Type / OS detection is not working

Solved
JordanCN
Here to help

Device Type / OS detection is not working

My site is all Meraki access points, switches, and security appliances.  I have another MDM solution in place so I am not using Meraki's solution.

I wanted to setup some stricter access policies on my corporate wireless and restrict it to only Windows based devices, but the Device Type/OS detection is not effective at all.  It only seems to correctly identify 20% of my devices as some form of Windows.  The vast majority are detected as "other".

Is there something I need to enable on the cloud console or on the Windows client so the OS can be detected is this feature something that requires the Meraki MDM client installed?

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is not a good feature, as you have discovered, and your experience is typical.

What it does is passively watch the traffic (such as DHCP and HTTP requests) for hints as to what kind of device it is.  Once it gets enough hints then it can assign it a device type.

It is not going to instantly determine a device type on connection.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is not a good feature, as you have discovered, and your experience is typical.

What it does is passively watch the traffic (such as DHCP and HTTP requests) for hints as to what kind of device it is.  Once it gets enough hints then it can assign it a device type.

It is not going to instantly determine a device type on connection.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@JordanCN are your Windows devices in a domain?  You can use that to authenticate them.

Hi cmr,

Yes, I am in a Windows domain.  I am using Windows Network Policy Server to validate the clients and have my RADIUS options setup in the console.  I followed Meraki's suggesting on setting up NPS to validate users so this works very well for the computers, but they seem to be able to connect their Mobile devices to the secured wireless by entering their company username and password.

I thought I would add Domain Computers to the access policy and remove the users, but this only allows the computer to connect to the network.  Once the user logs on, they are disconnected.  Having both my Wireless User and Domain Computer groups in the policy treats this as an "OR" so the computer OR user can connect to the wireless.  There does not seem to be a way in NPS to specify the computer AND user are required.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels