Dell 3470s not switching APs

TR-Bristol
Conversationalist

Dell 3470s not switching APs

Hi,

I am having and issue with Dell Latitude 3470 laptops.  It seems like they will not switch to the MR18 AP closest to them, even when the signal degrades.  I have changed roaming aggressiveness to high and it did not help.  There is no update for the Dell WLAN 1802 card (Qualcomm atheros).  Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Don't you want them to switch to the AP closest to them for best signal?  You may also want to look at Wireless>Radio Settings and decide if you want 'Client balancing' turned on or off.  But I'd assume that would cause the opposite issue where you may stay connected to an AP that is not optimal based on the load of clients on that AP. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
TR-Bristol
Conversationalist

I must not have been clear, sorry.  I want the clients to switch to the closest AP. Mistyped now for not

Thanks,

Ted
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Ah in that case try turning off that Client balancing feature and see if it helps

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
TR-Bristol
Conversationalist

Sorry, can't type.  Now should be not.  There are a few clients that will not switch to the closest AP.

Ted

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Also not a client will often not roam if it has no problems with its current connection.  So although you might want it to use the geographically closest AP, if it is happier with one further away it can decide to simply keep using it.

The only other option is to increase the minimum speed required on the SSID.  This will force the client to roam when the speed to a further away AP drops.

I would suggest using 12Mb/s.

Screenshot from 2018-03-30 08-52-19.png

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels