Data Rates of clients connected via MR36's

SOLVED
Dunky
A model citizen

Data Rates of clients connected via MR36's

All our clients connected to the MR36's show a low Data Rate as % of client max:

Dunky_0-1625221107063.png

The above is for one client I selected at random.  I have never seen any above 50%

In Wireless>Access Control, I have the following settings:

Dunky_1-1625221197680.png

All the clients are Windows 10.

Is this normal?  I am curious as to why this is not closer to 100% of the client max.

Thanks in advance

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>Would that then allow the clients to operate at Data Rates >50% of the client max?

Let me make up some numbers to illustrate the point.

Lets say a client has 100MB of data to send.  There is a fixed amount of RF airtime.  If they send that data at 11Mb/s it will take twice as much airtime as sending it at 22Mb/s. The airtime can only be used by one client at a time.  So by consuming such a large chunk of airtime, it leaves a lot less for everyone else to use, causing their throughput to be much lower, even though they might have a high connection speed.

Even one single client with a low-speed connection transferring data hurts the performance of every other client.  Worse still - they don't even have to be on your WiFi network.  They could be on your neighbours.

So typically you don't want to allow low-speed clients.  A minimum bit rate of 12Mb/s is pretty standard these days.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Change the minimum data rate to 12Mb/s.  This disables all the slow legacy protocols.

Thanks for the reply Philip.

I will change that as soon as I get the chance.

Would that then allow the clients to operate at Data Rates >50% of the client max?

I'm interested to understand how changing the minimum support would cause the others to run at a higher rate?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>Would that then allow the clients to operate at Data Rates >50% of the client max?

Let me make up some numbers to illustrate the point.

Lets say a client has 100MB of data to send.  There is a fixed amount of RF airtime.  If they send that data at 11Mb/s it will take twice as much airtime as sending it at 22Mb/s. The airtime can only be used by one client at a time.  So by consuming such a large chunk of airtime, it leaves a lot less for everyone else to use, causing their throughput to be much lower, even though they might have a high connection speed.

Even one single client with a low-speed connection transferring data hurts the performance of every other client.  Worse still - they don't even have to be on your WiFi network.  They could be on your neighbours.

So typically you don't want to allow low-speed clients.  A minimum bit rate of 12Mb/s is pretty standard these days.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels