DNS issue

Deniz
Here to help

DNS issue

Hi guys,

I am having lately DNS issues on my MacBook using Meraki wireless. I have noticed this lately as the connections got slower and I had too many respond saying "Server host name could not be resolved". 

I am using VPN to corporate network, and when I am connected via VPN, I never get this issue, but once I use my only local wireless network, then I get DNS problem hence I have to renew the connection to Meraki AP then it is fixed for a short period of time before same problem occurs again. Anyone has experienced this issue or any idea why this might occur? 
PS: I checked the wireless health on dashboard and everything looks fine, but when I run wireless diagnostics on Macbook, I can see the results as problem is mentioned as DNS. 

Thanks in advance,

Deniz

10 REPLIES 10
GavinMcMenemy
Building a reputation

You're not using a wired connection at the same time are you?

We see real issues with Macs that are on wifi and wired at the same time.

Thanks for reply, Gavin.
No, its only wireless connection on MAC. 

As said, I face this issue only when i am fully using my local wireless network (i.e. not on VPN) 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What DNS server is the AP using?

Philip, APs are configured to use OpenDNS. 

I dont believe this is the issue since everything is working well when I am on VPN. 

Rudi
Getting noticed

Does your VPN assign a different VLAN than the local network?

Deniz
Here to help

Not on local side, but since the traffic is going through company's network, it is assigned to different VLAN there I would assume.

I guess the reason why you are asking if I am getting different DNS server ip add when i m connected to VPN?  

Deniz
Here to help

It turned out to be that issue is not related to Meraki.. Still not resolved but I get this DNS resolving issue only on my Mac even thought i was connected to different SSID in a different place. 

Deniz
Here to help

Hi all,

Thank you for trying to help on this as I found out the issue and how to solve it. 

So, DNS issue is not related to Meraki, but its related to Cloudfare which is being used by Chrome browser.

Basically, Chrome is forwarding all DNS requests to Cloudfare and therefore I get many "unresolved DNS responds". 

I move to using Firefox or Safari that use my configured DNS servers, and this should solve me issue. 

Thanks again for everyone! 

Rudi
Getting noticed

Thanks for letting us know 🙂

GavinMcMenemy
Building a reputation

Thanks Deniz, that's good to know!
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels