Cost of Meraki wireless network vs. Cisco WLC and traditional LWAPs

Silas1066
Getting noticed

Cost of Meraki wireless network vs. Cisco WLC and traditional LWAPs

I am in the process of designing a enterprise wireless solution for a client, and I was wondering what the cost difference was between sticking with two Cisco Wireless LAN controllers (redundant), with a 50 AP license vs. going with Meraki Access points and a cloud subscription?

Waiting for my sales reps to get back to me on this, but I was wondering what you guys have experienced in regards to this? Sounds like if I put controllers into a redundant pair, I would need double the AP licensing. But the client is a little averse to subscription service.

6 REPLIES 6
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Cisco WLC HA does not require licenses, since its role is HA

However, pricing will depend on the model of WLC your looking at, but I've found pricing for Cisco to usually be more expensive, sometimes by a large amount, when compared to a 5 year setup with Meraki.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Silas1066, as @NolanHerring mentioned, you can buy up to 10 years upfront and therefore there are no realistic renewals or subscriptions to pay.  As you **have** to buy at least a one year subscription, it is possible that they might be able to account for the initial subscription under capital expenditure rules, I'd ask them. 

wouldn't the second WLC require the same AP license account as the first (active)?

You don't need to worry about the license for the spare/HA model as once you set it or buy it as HA SKU. The new controllers support SmartLicensing or something (have not messed with Cisco in like 3 years now so I am rusty)

Either way, its not a cost you have to pay for, its part of the HA setup that it will automatically support the max number of AP's the controller supports for the HA unit
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
Bossnine
Building a reputation

I don't have numbers but keep in mind you'll need smart net to cover those controllers in case of issues whereas with the Meraki subscription that is not needed.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If the comparison is "apples with apples", you you use SmartNet and DNA licencing with the same terms as the Meraki licences - the Meraki solution usually works out wayyyyyyyyy cheaper.

I haven't done a WLC for a while now.  I think DNA licencing is compulsory on them now, every if you don't have DNA Centre.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels