cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant association & disassociation to APs

Just browsing

Constant association & disassociation to APs

This bouncing around happens all across our APs.  It happens with many clients as well.  Tablets, Windows laptops, Mac laptops.  Is this normal?  Some people are complaining that their WIFI connection keeps dropping.

SSID log.png

We're using a mix of MR16 & MR33 

9 REPLIES
Kind of a big deal

Re: Constant association & disassociation to APs

It's hard to say what is "normal" for your environment.

You are mixing 802.11ac (MR33) and 802.11n (MR16) APs.  Avoid using these in the same areas.  I wouldn't be surprised if a client had an 802.11ac connection then tried to roam to another AP that does not support this (such as the MR16) experienced dropped connections.

The MR33 is also 3x3 while the MR16 is 2x2 - so how well clients will handle roaming between APs of different radio specs - will be the roll of a dice.

As far as firmware goes - if you are not on 25.12 I would change to that.

Just browsing

Thanks Phil,

Looking at the timestamps on the disassociations you can see that the client isn't moving around the building.  The client is staying in one place yet the connection is bouncing from one AP to the next.

Granted the client should be able roam about the building without dropping their WIFI connection but should it bounce around every minute even when you're sitting at your desk?

Head in the Cloud

I agree with Phil make sure you only have one model of AP in each area or at least make sure they support the same versions of 802.11

Is your environment high density and did you do a site survey before deployment? You might have interference from a neighbour. 

Are your users complaining of poor connections?

Meraki CMNO, Ruckus WISE, Sonicwall CSSA, Allied Telesis CASE & CAI
Kind of a big deal

Lets say your client wants to prefer the fastest connection it can - 802.11ac.  It connects to that AP.  Perhaps that AP is too busy and asks the client to roam to a less busy AP.  It attaches to the 802.11n AP - doesn't like the speed, and bounces back.

With mixed technology like this there are many scenarios that could cause a client to keep bouncing around.

Just browsing

Both the MR16 and MR33 support 802.11n.

No site survey was done AFAIK.  I was thinking it may be interference as well but I don't have any way to do a spectrum analysis.

Clients are definitely complaining about dropped connections.

Just browsing

Is there a way to tell if the AP is "asking the client to roam"?

Kind of a big deal

Usually if a client is asked to roam it appears in the event log.  Clients can also decide to roam on their own (such as wanting to attach to an 802.11ac access point because they are currently attached to an 802.11n access point).

Highlighted
Just browsing

Does one of the events show in the initial screenshot?  I see almost exclusively association/disassociation events.

Getting noticed

Have you asked your neighbours if any of them implemented a WIPS/WIDS?

Something like Air Marshall can deauth your network if the admins have blacklisted your SSIDs. It would certainly cause Deauths to be a problem. We've had issues with this on our main site with this in the past.

Have you had a walk around with a wireless scanner (get one for your smartphone) to see if you're accidentally using the same SSID as another office?

Note: see the AM docs below for an explainer on what I mean
https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Air_Marshal