Connecting Meraki MX and AP with Netgear Modem/Router Combo

JordanMerakiL
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Connecting Meraki MX and AP with Netgear Modem/Router Combo

Hello, 

I am very new to networking and have a very novice question. I have some Meraki gear for home use (an MX and AP), which I have initially connected to the internet via my existing Netgear modem/router combo device (Netgear>MX (via ethernet)>AP (via ethernet)). Will using the Netgear device as my modem create an inefficiency in my set up and slow down internet speeds? I assume this is especially likely to be the case if both the Netgear and Meraki AP are broadcasting their own SSIDs simultaneously. I probably need to login to the Netgear device and figure out how to turn off its wifi at a minimum. 

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

To get into the Netgear, if you don't know how already, try this.

https://kb.netgear.com/20026/How-do-I-change-the-admin-password-on-my-NETGEAR-router

This will help you turn off the SSID broadcasting or disable completely.

https://kb.netgear.com/23439/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-s-WiFi-password-or-network-name-SSID

My recommendation would be to remove the Netgear completely. Secondary recommendation would we see if you can put the Netgear in "AP Only Mode" then connect it behind the MX along with the MR(Meraki AP), giving you better Wifi coverage.

Is there a specific reason you want to or need to leave the Netgear in the config?

Thank you. I will try some of these suggestions when I get home. I am only using the Netgear because I already had it at home and do not otherwise haver a modem.

Nash
Kind of a big deal

Your modem lives in the Netgear, right? If so, then you can't completely delete. The MX has no modem in it.

What model of Netgear do you have? You may be able to put it in bridge mode, in which case it'll act as a modem and not as a router. 

Thanks! Yes, modem is inside the Netgear. I tried to check the model in Netgear Genie, but I cannot remote in--I have to access locally. I'll check it out and update after I get home tonight. Thanks for your help. 

Following up. The Netgear device is model No. C7000v2, which is called “AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router.”

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

> Will using the Netgear device as my modem create an inefficiency in my set up and slow down internet speeds?

If it doesn't slow down Internet access normally when you are plugged directly into it then you wont have any issues with the MX plugged into it.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels