Connecting HP Photosmart C4580 All-in-One

SOLVED
Shadius
Building a reputation

Connecting HP Photosmart C4580 All-in-One

Hi all,

I am trying to add my printer to my wireless network. However, I am receiving the following message:

The PC and the printer are connected to different networks(237DACF806 and 2C3F0BB2D503). They must be connected to the same network. This can happen when you use the manufacturer's default network name (SSID) and another nearby network is using the same name.

I recently connected an MR33 to my network. All other devices are able to connect just fine, except the printer. I'm not sure how it would be on different networks. Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

At the moment you have created two separate networks:

• one that is formed by the fios router where all clients get an IP address from the fios router.  They can talk to each other and access the internet through the fios router.  The MR33 itself is on this network.
  • a second network for the MR33 clients where all wireless clients of the MR33 get an IP address from the MR33.  They can only pass through it to talk to the fios router, its clients (if that setting is enabled) and the internet.  They cannot talk to each other.  They all appear to the fios router as being on the single IP address that the MR33's LAN port is using.

If you change the SSID to bridge mode then all clients will behave as though they are directly connected to the fios router.  They will all get their IP address from the DHCP server on it, be able to talk to each other (whether wirelessly connected to the MR33, or connected to the fios router directly) and be able to access the internet.  The network subnet that did exist on the MR33, when the SSID was in NAT mode will disappear. 

You could enable the wireless on the fios router and if you set the SSIDs to be the same, clients would then be able to roam from the MR33 to the fios and back. 

This is only needed if the MR33 doesnt give you enough coverage and you would need to tell the MR33 that the fios wasn't a rogue AP.  Only use this option if you need the extra coverage and the MR33 and fios are far enough apart, otherwise it will cause more harm than good!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You have 1 ssid?

How is it  configured?  Band steering? Wpa2 only? Bridge mode?

Shadius
Building a reputation

Here's some information: 

The MR33 is connected to the LAN port of my Fios wireless router and I've configured the SSID on it. All devices in the house are able to connect to the MR33, except the printer. I do have band steering turned on. WPA2 encryption. NAT mode: Use Meraki DHCP. 

If screenshots needed, let me know. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You need to use bridge mode for the printer to see the PC.  Use Meraki DHCP is for public WiFi in small spaces

Shadius
Building a reputation

Oh, okay.

What will happen to the rest of the devices on the network when I switch it over to "Bridge mode: make clients part of the LAN"?

I'm just trying to understand how all of this works. I'm new to networking. 

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

They will  losse connectivity, and trying  to get a IP from the LAN you  connected  the AP to

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Client_Addressing_and_Bridging/SSID_Modes_for_Client_IP_Assignme...

Shadius
Building a reputation

Thank you for this!
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

At the moment you have created two separate networks:

• one that is formed by the fios router where all clients get an IP address from the fios router.  They can talk to each other and access the internet through the fios router.  The MR33 itself is on this network.
  • a second network for the MR33 clients where all wireless clients of the MR33 get an IP address from the MR33.  They can only pass through it to talk to the fios router, its clients (if that setting is enabled) and the internet.  They cannot talk to each other.  They all appear to the fios router as being on the single IP address that the MR33's LAN port is using.

If you change the SSID to bridge mode then all clients will behave as though they are directly connected to the fios router.  They will all get their IP address from the DHCP server on it, be able to talk to each other (whether wirelessly connected to the MR33, or connected to the fios router directly) and be able to access the internet.  The network subnet that did exist on the MR33, when the SSID was in NAT mode will disappear. 

You could enable the wireless on the fios router and if you set the SSIDs to be the same, clients would then be able to roam from the MR33 to the fios and back. 

This is only needed if the MR33 doesnt give you enough coverage and you would need to tell the MR33 that the fios wasn't a rogue AP.  Only use this option if you need the extra coverage and the MR33 and fios are far enough apart, otherwise it will cause more harm than good!

Shadius
Building a reputation

Thank you so much for this explanation!

Yes, I did notice that the 10.0.0.0/8 subnet disappeared once I switched over the MR33's SSID to Bridge mode.

Could you go into more detail about why it would do more harm than good if I were to set the SSID of the Fios router to be the same as the MR33?

Also, should I disable the wireless on the Fios router?

This was a huge help!
LasseBang
Getting noticed

Also check under Firewall & traffic shaping that you allow access to Local LAN
Shadius
Building a reputation

I changed it to allow access to Local LAN and I think that did the trick.

The HP Photosmart C4580 All-in-One installed correctly. The HP Solution Center can now see it.

Thank you!
Shadius
Building a reputation

I am wondering if it would be a good idea to assign all devices that are not PCs/Macs a static IP address.

I also have some smart ACs that I would need to get connected. 

Thoughts? 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels