Connecting (2) ANT-25's to an MR84

SOLVED
Jake-Young
Here to help

Connecting (2) ANT-25's to an MR84

Can someone verify which is the correct method of installing (2) ANT-25's to a MR84?

Connecting ANT-25 to MR84.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Far as I know, it won't matter. You just need to ensure both antenna are aimed in the same direction.

Here is the install guide to assist:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Installation_Guides/MR84_Installation_Guide
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Far as I know, it won't matter. You just need to ensure both antenna are aimed in the same direction.

Here is the install guide to assist:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Installation_Guides/MR84_Installation_Guide
TwitterLinkedIn
Raj66
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I would agree with @NolanHerring  It should not matter where you connect the cable as long as you are connecting them to the right radio i.e, you should be connecting both the cables to either 2.4Ghz radio or to the 5 Ghz radio. You should be fine as long as you follow that.

Cheers!

Raj

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

MR84 if I'm not mistaken has dual-band ports (all 4). I know MR74 has one side being 2.4GHz and the other being 5GHz.
TwitterLinkedIn

Ok cool, thanks.  I was kind of thinking that since on the MR84  the ant ports were dual band that it didn't really matter.  I just couldn't find any documentation to verify.

I ran into the same issue concerning documentation. The distance between the antenna’s should be at least one wave length. Have no idea what the maximum distance is but keep in mind to far apart will increase the coverage angle and that might affect your intended coverage. 

a few weeks ago I opened a thread about the MR84 and how to use the antennas 

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Wireless-LAN/MR84-and-dual-band-antennas-vs-MR74/m-p/54414

Take a look maybe the discussion has some useful information for you. 

Thanks, I'll check that thread!
JoRett
Here to help

To Cover a large outdoor area (50x40m) I used a MR84 and  2x ANT-27.

The solution is working pretty good with full coverage.

2019-09-04_08-43-30.jpg

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

I believe you'll want to make sure both of those antenna are pointing in the same direction 😃

Really wish Meraki would make a 4-lead antenna so people don't have to buy two. Ugh
TwitterLinkedIn

There are two 4-lead antennas for the MR42E/53E and for the MR84 you can use the Stadium antenna or a third party antenna. The 2 antenna setup is a bit odd and I wonder why they designed them the way they did (considering the fact that Cisco Enterprise has enough templates for antennas to use).

Both antenna had a large overlapping area, so they don't point to the same direction. It's about 25° difference.

Is someone here who is using the stadium antenna? It's huge and expensive!

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Stadium antenna is purpose built and for, you guessed it, stadium like deployments. 😃

I use 3rd party antennas from Acceltex with great success. Cheaper and they have 4 or 6 lead antenna's (same antenna, but they give you the choice in case your using an MR84 or MR42E etc.)
TwitterLinkedIn

I've considered the MR84 with a stadium antenna for a wharehouse because this antenna has a narrow beam ideal for getting the signal between the racks but we went for the MR42E with the narrow patch antenna fot the initial design. Things might change, have to get feedback about what the enviroment will be in the wharehouse.

Acceltext has a great range of products. The AP mount looks great.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels