Clients with the same MAC address

Caleb
Conversationalist

Clients with the same MAC address

On our dashboard under Clients there are two different clients both with the same MAC address. How is this possible and is there a way to reset the data?

Example

iPhone 1 and iPhone 2 both have the same MAC address

iPhone 3 and Note 1 both have the same MAC address

I am trying to enforce policy based on MAC address but since these devices show up in the dashboard with the same mac address it is impossible. How can I trust anything the dashboard is showing me?

Support has advanced my issue to engineering but I am a small fish in a big pond and so I am don't feel this security issue is getting the attention it needs.

Any idea's on what could cause this or how to raise the importance of this issue with support?

6 REPLIES 6
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Do you have any Layer 3 routers or switches between your MX and clients?  If so you might need to switch to Security Appliance>Addressing & VLANs, Track Clients by IP Address

Capture.PNG

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
Caleb
Conversationalist

Thanks for the reply. We don't use the MX products. 

Our network setup is as follows client -> MR AP-> SG200-50 switch -> SonicWall Firewall ->IPS managed edge appliance 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have seen this happen when someone plugs an iPhone via USB into a PC.  The PC NATs the iPhone, and both devices start appearing with the same MAC address.

Caleb
Conversationalist

Interesting. In my instance these are both mobile devices. They both have been plugged into a PC at some point but the MAC address is not that of any PC it is that of one of the two mobile devices. 

iPhone A has the same MAC address in the dashboard as iPhone B. The MAC address is right for one of the devices and wrong for the other. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Any chance a backup of one phone was restored onto another (so two different devices have appeared with the same  name)?

Caleb
Conversationalist

iPhone A and iPhone B <-iPhone A was recycled so it has been registered once with the AP under a different user. But iPhone A and iPhone B have never been backed up and/or restored to each other. 

iPhone C and Samsung A <- not possible as these are different OS systems. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels