Clients decide to disassociate

DenisJaworski
Here to help

Clients decide to disassociate

Hi there,

a customer is facing a problem with different Samsung Galaxy models. They decide to leave the SSID by sending a disassociation frame during operating normal. The frame contains the Reason Code 3 ("Sending STA is leaving or has left ESS/IBSS). This leads to a flapping between 4G and Wifi and causes the battery to drain very fast.

The problem started to occure when the customer switched from Cisco Classic to Meraki...has any of you experienced this problem, too?

P.S.: We already opened a case on this one but the support told us that this has to be a thing with android. The customer is not happy with this kind of explanation and asked me to investigate further.

8 Replies 8
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

what band are they on?

is the wifi coverage for that band sufficient?  did they replace the AP or also put the in a new position based on a sitesurvey?

are the adaptive wifi settings on the phone disabled?

Ben
A model citizen

@DenisJaworski

Can u also tell us what the SSID and radio settings are for that network? 

As WW suggested this might be due to insufficient coverage for a certain area for those devices.

Are you only seeing this on the Galaxy devices? Perhaps lower the Bitrate on the SSID? (not sure on what it's set now?)

Cheers,

Ben

AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi Denis
What are your comments on
1. Interferences
2. Bands 2.4 and 5 GHz (Priority or Steering)
3. Channel settings (Manual or Dynamic)
Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network

Hi friends,

1. There are no interferences

2. We are using Dual Band operation with steering

3. The Channel is set to dynamic, but I did a little site survey and haven't noticed a channel change when the clients disassociate.

Coverage isn't a problem and we are not talking about a roaming issue. The problem occurs even when the client is not moving and sitting right next to the AP.

@PhilipDAth: I will try using 802.11r and the load balancig feature, though this is not a roaming problem.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Oh and I forgot to mention: We are using 25.11.

Can u try and put the SSID in Dual band operation without the band steering and see how the devices respond to that?
A technician I know told me that they get different (and better) results in their site surveys if they disable the band steering option that came with the new firmware.

Cheers,
Ben
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

First, are you running the 25.11 firmware?  If not, upgrade to that first.

Here are some experiments you can try (only do one thing at a time and if it doesn't help change it back):

* Try enabling 802.11r

* Try disabling client load balancing: https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Other_Topics/Client_Balancing

chall1600
New here

We are having clients disassociating too the past week or so. Building with 2 MR 24 APs, same placement for 4 years without issue. 25.11. Very interested in this resolution. Band steering is on, 802.11r is off, dynamic power and channels.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels